Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel or aluminum grilles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Jun 21, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

After the 84 has been repainted, I'd like to get rid of my factory grille and replace it with a tougher one. Has anyone done this, and, if so, what brands and styles have you used? I'd really like to keep the OEM look, but from what I've seen out there, most of the products available are either tube or bar setups. It's too bad the original plastic grilles are so wimpy!!!!!!

2. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I don't think you can get an aftermarket OEM steel or aluminum grill. Stuhl billet grills look awesome.

3. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Hey, 89K5. I'm an accountant as well, and as you can see from my unsername I have an '89 also. Welcome aboard. What are some modifications you have done to your truck, or are on your "wishlist"?

Chevy's RULE!

4. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

I know it's old school, but I've got the chrome Stull steel square tubing grill and it's a brute. I wouldn't think they'd use a gauge that think just to make a grill.

~BigBurban
    <font color=red>"I think I busted somethin'... In fact, I know I did.</font color=red>

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Attached is a link to picks of my 82 Jimmy with an aftermarket grille. I think it is aluminum, but some of the mounts are broken and I have it "Jimmy rigged" to keep it on. Not in this pic is my new Warn HS9500i.. I moved the grille back about 2 inches to mount my winch. I will take some pics with the winch on.

http://emmett.coloradok5.com/canfield99pics.htm

Sorry I was going to attach them, but it kept telling me they were too big.

Enjoy.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I have a really good looking, at least in my opinion, it is on my truck, billet aluminum grill that i got from Golden State pickup here in So Cal. it was $150, but the replacement plastic one was $130, hard choice, its pretty rugged, i haven't seen if it'll withstand a broken strap or anything like that but its a solid unit.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I too have the Stull square tube chrome grill, and I love it. All a matter of preference. Cost $60 from JC Whitney.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

8. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Hey 1TUFF89

Other than the lift, I have a tranny - cooler, temp gauge, drain plug, and shift kit. I had the whole underside sandblasted and painted with Corolis and black krylon, I lined the interior with a brush-on liner, sound deadening mat, and new carpet. Chrome diff. covers, dual steering stabilizer.....lots more little things.

Future - 12 bolt w/ 4.10's (30 mile highway ride to work), crate engine.

How 'bout yours?