Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steel prices

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big dan, Apr 27, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

can someone give an estimate on what scrap steel is selling for?

also a guess on the weight of a short bed pickup body?

Ive got one that is smashed up and rusted out that I need out of my yard so I wanted to sell it to a scrap metal yard and would like to get an estimate of how much I will make off of it.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm not sure what they are now, 2 years ago it was about $90/ton

If it's the full pickup and frame, it's around 2 tons. Just the body, probably closer to a ton.

I think the prices are a little lower now, probably like 60-70/ton, but I'm not really sure.

If you expect them to haul it away for you, you won't make anything. They'll just take it for free for thier trouble to tow it.
    If you haul it in, you'll get the per ton price for steel.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

A body is roughly 1200. I get 60/ton for light steel (like body stuff) and 80/ton for heavy (frame, axles, motor, etc)

4. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

North Texas $.05 per pound for long and .0775 for short. It is a little higher if I want to drive to the next city. The people that run our metal yard are cheap scates (sp). If you live fairly close and can load it up, you should make enough to take your family out for dinner at least. Worth it to me IMO.

I scrap all summer and can make about $500 a week if I can find people who will let me clean out all of their pastures and yards. I put in about 25 to 30 hours so I consider it pretty good money myself.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

alright. thanks guys. I was kinda hoping it was little higher, at least when I sell my junk.

I know it is different for different places but did you haul the truck in whole or have to cut it up into smaller pieces?

6. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

If you take it in hole you get crap money for it (here at least) They do not want tires on it, gas tank dropped, and will want all the fluids out. I take some air tools and rip all of the body off, drain all the fluids, take the oil pan and filter off and take the motor in seperate. You also have to have the title if you take it in hole.

If it sound like to much of a hassel, people aroun here just take em to the salvage yard and get $50 for it and call it even. I perfer the other method since you get more money. It just epends on how much time and energy you want to put into it and how fast you can tear a truck down. The only good thing is you have no worries about TEARING IT UP so you can really have at it.

Your call and good luck to ya.

Hint, If you tear it down, seperate your IRON from the other stuff. Axels, leaf packs, frame, ect. You get more for it or they will give you scrap prices for the hole thing.

7. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

not too long ago i had a 78 bed that i scrapped along with a few other things and i got around $70

8. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I got paid $.05/.06 a pound for mine today, ditched 2 10 bolts, a huge old file cabinet, and some random other parts, almost exactly 900 pounds worth, got 51.35 or so for it all. Not much, but I wanted it gone and its better than taking it to the landfill for nothing.