Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel rims VS. Aluminum rims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Dec 17, 2003.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

Im trying to find some 16.5x12 rims for a 16" wide swamper.one place tryed to sell me aluminum rims (4) for $600 they were made by eagle.

the next place wanted steels,for $415 cheap,black modular rims.
    my question is what is better,one 1st place swore by alum. rims,and that eatons were junk,because they quickly make them,and there backing places are not even and vibrate horribly.
    the other place said steels is where its at,you wont have any problems.who the hell do I believe?

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run 16.5 x14 weld outbacks with 44 x18.5 x16.5 swampers and have not had any problems yet.I only mud though, do you mud or crawl?

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Eaton's are supposed to be pretty good, Wheel Vintiques, are supposed to be crap.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. MUD JUNKIE

mud,sand.off camber sand.thats about it yet not too many rocks in florida

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Summit has some steel wheels if you like the white modular wheels.

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should be ok with aluminum Rims then.my last rig I ran eagles with 42" swampers and they were great.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well a lot of people here run steel cause there is no choice with 3/4 ton running gear. They both have pro's and con's.
    Steel Pro's
    Cheaper
    If you bend a steel rim you may be able to trail repair it.
    Can be sanded and painted over and over /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Steel Con's
    Heavier
    Rust /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Aluminum pro's
    Lighter
    Probably a better selection as far as looks
    No rust
    Aluminum Con's
    Even though it doesn't rust if it is polished it is harder than chrome to upkeep.
    Breaks doesn't bend
    Expensive

These are just a few examples I have run both I have never had "problems" with either kind. I like both I guess it is just a preference on how the rig is gonna be used. Example if you bash your rims on rocks often aluminum can get spendy. I am sure somebody else will jump in here with their opinion /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I like Alunimum I never noticed you were so close to me(FL here too) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am a big fan of weld rims. They are the strongest aluminum wheels that can be bought and are the best looking on the market too.
    Don't go with the knock off shiterlines and eagles are ok but they are cast and not forged like welds. Steelies are great for trail stuff but I'm sure a good aluminum is a better balanced wheel and "wagon wheels" are a bad choice if looks are a concern. [​IMG] [ QUOTE ]
    Through independent tests, the Super-Single cold forged aluminum wheels were not only significantly lighter, but also over 40% stronger than comparable cast aluminum wheels. Each wheel design is CNC Mill Cut for perfect tolerances and then fully polished to a show quality finish. Load rated at up to 3,200 lbs. per wheel, the Super-Single Styles are offered in more sizes and widths than any other wheel on the market and rated for use of up to 44" tall tires. Optional forged aluminum lug cover kit available to add the final touch of destination

[/ QUOTE ]

10. MUD JUNKIE

chevy4wd I seen you over at florida4x4.com but you never post.

looks isnt a concern with my truck,I own a big ugly mess.
    Im waiting for the body to rust off that way I can put a long bed brand new extended cab s-10 on the frame.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I cracked one of my aluminum wheels /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I now have 15x10 eatons. They have a very thick center and they drive fine (bias ply swampers are a whole nother story).

Bottom line:
    Steel if you plan to wheel it
    Aluminum if you don't plan to wheel it or just happen to have a bunch of extra cash laying around.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Bottom line:
    Steel if you plan to wheel it
    Aluminum if you don't plan to wheel it or just happen to have a bunch of extra cash laying around.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey now, thats not exactly true... I wheel plenty with my aluminum welds and I never have had a problem with them or anyone one else that has them either that I know. What brand alums. did you have? Cast wheels crack easily.

13. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

it all depends on the look you want. there is no correct answer to your question because there are to many variables. I run both alluminum on one of my offroad rigs and steel beadlocks on the other. the only reason I run alluminum on the one is because its a clean rig that I want to look good.
    the other is stricly a hard core offroad rig so looks arent what im going for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

steel rims are where its at unless ur daddy warbucks.

anyone who says "eatons are crap" is full of it. My HD steel eaton wheels rock, never had a single problem with em.

If you're rich, forged aluminum rims are nice... mainly cause they are lightweight. Light is good... on the other hand, we're talkin what... 20 lbs per wheel? less? not exactly a big difference. I got all 4 of my rims for the same amount a single (or maybe 2) forged aluminum rims cost. As others have said, steels are much easier to repair when damaged. Easier to add aftermarket DIY beadlock kits to steelies also.

avoid cast aluminum rims if they are gonna be used offroad in rocks at low psi... only a matter of time b4 you smack one and break a chunk of the aluminum off. Of course, you're talkin 16.5" rims... so maybe they arent gonna be used offroad anyway.

j

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    it all depends on the look you want. there is no correct answer to your question because there are to many variables. I run both alluminum on one of my offroad rigs and steel beadlocks on the other. the only reason I run alluminum on the one is because its a clean rig that I want to look good.
    the other is stricly a hard core offroad rig so looks arent what im going for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    bingo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if looks are all that matter, there are bling steelies also.

j

17. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Light is good... on the other hand, we're talkin what... 20 lbs per wheel? less? not exactly a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a total of 80 extra lbs rotating weight, which will make a big difference if you are like me and are unhappy going under 75mph on the highway and try to stop in a hurry with stock brakes.

For any kind of off roading I wouldn't run anything but steel. Cleanup and polishing aluminum wheels would get to be a pain where you can hit the steelies with a hose and be done. I would also cry if I gouged or cracked a $125 alloy wheel where scratching/denting a $30 US wheel steelie wouldn't phase me a bit.

18. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

in my opinion steel is the way to go i have had both and bent up both, had no problems repairing the steel and the aluminum ones i had to puy $30 each to have fixed and now i can hardly balance them and if you crack em good luck so i would go with steel you can get good loking steel ones too

19. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My experience is that chrome wheels are the hardest to upkeep. I live in the rust belt, so chrome is just plain an awful choice. Aluminum wheels are easier to maintain than painted steel too, because any tiny hole in the paint will bubble up with rust on the steel wheel. The aluminum may start to pit there, but if you catch it in time, it's not a problem. The finish on Aluminum wheels can also be restored, just like steel. The clear coat is stripped, you polish it up and apply new clear coat.

20. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if looks are all that matter, there are bling steelies also.
    j

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct and I love the look of my steel beadlocks they look tough as hell. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif now thats bling for an offroad rig