Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steel roller tip rocker arms?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldbandit, Jun 27, 2001.

1. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I am rebuilding my 350. It is bored .060 over w/ 202 heads and a performer cam. My question is, is it worth the extra money to buy steel roller tip rocker arms? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the roller tip and factory rocker arms?

thanks
    baldbandit

"Have you driven over a F@RD lately!!

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Less valve deflection, resistance and less chance of wearing out the guides. I'm running Comp Cams Magnum Roller Rockers and haven't had a problem. Won't notice much as far as hp gains, but it's a little added insurance.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would say roller tips are a waste of money, although they'll save some valve guide wear. Go with full roller rockers.

And I think you'll be sorry you chose the Edelbrock cam. Looking at the grind compared to the Comp XE and X4x4 cams it leaves much to be desired (it's much less agressive).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Advantages to full roller-rockers are: 1) Reduced friction; 2) Reduced reciprocating mass; 3) Reduced side loading on your valve stems; 4) Improved reliability.

Numbers 1 & 2 don't really make much difference on a lower revving engine like you'll find in most 4x4s, aside from less wear and tear over the long run. Big advantage in high revving race engines.

Number 3 will lessen wear on your valve guides, due to the reduced side loads (again, less friction on the tip of the valve stem).

Number 4 is mostly due to roller bearing at the trunnion (where it mounts to the rocker arm stud). It also allows much higher cam lift than a OEM slotted stamped steel rocker arm; again, not much benefit to a lower revving engine.

The only disadvantage I can think of with roller-rockers is the high price: generally about $200 - $300 dollars. Well worth it to me, though. I always run Crane's roller rockers, although other brands are good, too. Crane's pieces just haven't ever failed me, so I figure, why switch? [​IMG]

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>