Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel sleeves + steel bolts = no fing movement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 24, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wish to lodge a complaint with the world, and I quote, YOU SUCK. Damn rear suspension bolts are siezed to their damn sleeves, so they won't freaking budge.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

And in short, folks...that pretty much sums up all my experiences working on my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep, just bitching, it really does suck you know?

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Time to break out the ultimate tool...the cutting torch! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

already happened /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Happens so often that I just expect it now!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I don't understand, what is this stuck you are talking about. I have never expierenced it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Might be an AZ thing as it was nealy 90° today so sweat is a lubricant half of the year.

Honestly I have had them stuck and a sawzall in between the bushing and the mount can work too.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had it happen when I was installing my 4" front springs. The 2.5" springs in there wouldn't come out for anything. So I had to take the angle grinder with a 1/16" cutting wheel and cut threw the bushing, sleeves, and bolts. It sucks, especially the bushing. It boils, burns, and stinks like a mother.

Harley

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't understand, what is this stuck you are talking about. I have never expierenced it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Might be an AZ thing as it was nealy 90° today so sweat is a lubricant half of the year.

Honestly I have had them stuck and a sawzall in between the bushing and the mount can work too.

[/ QUOTE ] I was trying that, but my damn sawzall wouldn't even cut the damn rubber bushing! Torched the whole frame mount off. Will be easier to cut the holes for homegrown flip and reinforce it.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

When I do the plow truck I'm not even going to TRY to take the bolts out [​IMG]

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wait until he gets to the sleeves that are outboard of the bushings. If you think the inner sleeves are a bitch, try getting the outers out.

Then again, I've got an air hammer/chisel now so I would probably make short work of them if I had to do that again.

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I lucked out and the PO of my rig was an old man who did a lot of towing. He replaced the front and rear springs and all the spring bushings for me. Everything came out easier than that one time I went to McDonalds and got double fries and a couple extra burgers /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Nice timing on this post. I wasted half the day yesterday getting out a seized bolt on the rear suspension. I ended up buying an air-cut off tool. It then promptly submitted and died. I think I will cut up the remains into little pieces for all the pain it caused me - including whacking my finger with a BFH - OUCH. Its black and blue today!

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I will cut up the remains into little pieces for all the pain it caused me - including whacking my finger with a BFH - OUCH. Its black and blue today!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hate when that happens. My finger has a nice blood blister under the nail from when I dropped my 14 bolt carrier on it Thursday. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif