Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel Wheel Help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCJimmy, Mar 28, 2004.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for the best/strongest 8-lug, black 15x10 or 16x10 4" bs rim available. Looked at rock crawlers, us wheel, etc.

Looks like max load rating is around 2000 lbs for steel wheels. Is this strong enough to hold up to a full size one ton rig on/off road?

Not having sucess with searching, need answers from folks you who have bought and run steelies.

Buying new wheel/tires this week. Need to do this right the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Considering BFG Mud/AT, Yokohama Geolander MT, and Swamper TSL/TRXUS radials.

If I'm covering old ground, please post link to appropriate post. I need opinions asap...

Byron

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get Eaton HD steel wheels from national tire and wheel.

j

3. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

on my 89 blazer i had 15/10 wagon wheels, with 4.25 backspacing got a blowout on the right rear at highway speed... all that was left of the tire were the sidewalls...and i ended up driving 5 or so miles doing 50 and when all was said and done mounted a new tire on the rim and she is straight as can be... maybe i got lucky... but i am glad i didnt go aluminum

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Good thing you brought this up, saved me a post, I was looking into the black rockcrawler rims, anyone have them? Had them? How are they? Pro/cons would be good.

-Steve

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've run both the basic white 15x10 wagon wheels on my Bronco, as well as M/T Alcoa's. The pro of the Alcoa's was a weight savings and that they are very strong. The con is that if you wack them on a rock, they can crack. The pro of the steel wheels is they are cheaper, and if you wack them on a rock, generally you can pound them back into usable shape on the trail. I face the same dilemma now. I will be going with Goodyear MT-R's, but haven't decided on steel or alumninum rims. I will have a full size spare with matching tire and rim but, the durability of the steel wheels is an attraction. However, with swapping in a D60 and Corp14ff, any weight savings would be nice.

6. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm also debating the disc conversion on my 14bff too.