Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Dec 3, 2004.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im thinking about getting some steel wheels for my truck, because theyre so much cheaper than other wheels. Im not sure yet though. How much of a difference is it going to make if I have steel or alluminum wheels as far as performance? how much heavier is a steel wheel going to be? I dont want my wheels to hurt my mileage and performance but I dont think they could weigh that much more but I dont know? Has anybody ran both to see the difference?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Never actually changed wheels to get better mileage. Steel wheels are heavier but I can't see it even making a measurable difference in the mileage department.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey fella. Fill out your profile so we know what your running and it'll be easier for people to offer help.
    Some steel wheels are nearly as light as ally anyway, but to be honest the weight of your tire will make so much more difference than your wheel, especially if you're running 35s +! Have you felt the weight of a 44"? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ok well I didnt think they would make much of a difference. I just dont need much more weight slowing me down and keeping me from stopping lol. I guess after a cam kit some steel wheels are my next purchase.