Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Oct 25, 2006.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I am looking to buy steel to make steering arms out of, what would be the best type of steel for this? Also where would i be able to by small blocks of steel?

2. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I don't know what steel you'd want but I've bought stuff from Metal Supermarket in Elk Grove, IL. They have a lot of different metal but they are kinda pricey. there is also a race car builder in Rosco, IL called Lefthander chassis, I've bought some rect. tubing from them but I don't know if they would have the right thickness that you would need.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

honestly, dont waste your time. www.sky-manufacturing.com they've probably got exactly what you want sitting on the shelf. when i was there last month i couldnt believe it, i had never seen so many steering arms in one place before.

4. 1979jimmy350

yea there still really expensive and i have acess to a mill and drill press's, its a lot cheaper for me to spend my free time on it than pay for it, im in college and don't have very much money to spend

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Then research it. There are good alloys and then there are better alloys for each application. You're going to need some special tooling though. Taper reams for both the TRE holes and the Cone Washer holes.

6. 1979jimmy350

i know i need the reamers, i already have the one for the TRE/DRE on order, but i have no idea as to the taper that the cone washers use

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've made them...it's easy.

I'm making an arm for my g/f's rig, so she can have crossover.
    I used a 1 1/4" Hot roll low carbon plate, it has excellent machining qualities and it can be welded, if needed. I'm welding in a modified king pin cap to the arm.