Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steerign Arm

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue86K5, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Blue86K5

Blue86K5 Newbie

Anyone have any advice on how to get one of these off?

I lifted my 86 Blazer 4" it came with a new steering arm. I couldn't get the old one off so I didn't put it on. Now it doesn't turn sharp to the right. I tried double nutting, and welding a nut to the stud hoping to get all the studs out then tap the arm off then put in new studs with the new arm.

Thanks for any help

2. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

I'v had to do several of these arms. The real hard ones are the ones that have never been off. When you get the nuts off, get a small pick and scrap all the hardened rust off and out of the split in those cones that are around the studs. Thenget comfortable because it could take awhile longer. I used WD-40 a 3 pound sledge and a benzo-matic tourch. soak it up good then heat it up for about 10 minutes. hit it with the sledge on the side of the arm around the studs. repeat this basic process. lett it cool down serveral times. Eventually the cones will start to work themselves up and out of the arm. I forgot to say, keepall the heat on the cones. when they heat up and expand they have to go up.
    hope this helps.

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

well first off the studs wont move unless the cones are out ,and if the cones are out the arm will come off.just beat on the arm with a sledge trying not to damage the studs and tap at the cones with a punch.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

4. Blue86K5

Blue86K5 Newbie

How do you hit it by the studs?

It looks to me like the only place to hit it is between where the drag link goes into the arm and the knuckle.

If that works it looks like persistence is the only way to get it off.

I might as well change the ball joints too while I'm in there.

Thanks

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

You need two things, a BFH and patience. Don't try to hit by the studs, hit out on the end, more leverage. Soak the cones with WD-40 or PB Blaster. When I did my lift I took the nuts off the steering arm soaked it down with PB and knocked the hell out of it and then got busy on the lift. Every couple hours I soaked it down again and would give it a couple of whacks with the BFH. When I got serious about removing the arm, I took a small punch and gave each cone a couple of sideways whacks. Then I took the BFH and really gave it three or four good downward whacks and the first cone moved. It was easy to get the rest to move after that.

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have removed two streering arms, but both were on axles already removed from the truck.
    I alternately beat on the 'head' of the steering arm down, then up, then down, etc. WIggled the steering arm cones right out.
    Keep the cones, I lost mine and that really bites.
    -- Mike

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have hit the part where the drag link bolts in the hole on the arm with a hammer. This usually got the cones loose enough to get channel locks and grip them, twist them, and work them out. After all are out, take the hammer and beat the piss out of the arm on top and bottom of the drag link mount hole. I hit it up and down until it came loose. The older and more miles the truck has, the harder they are to get off.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Do a search for more info.

<font color=green> No machines are perfect!</font color=green>

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

After hitting mine up and down a time or two I took some vise grips and clamped them on the cones opposite the groove. I squeezed the vise grips down as tight as I could and then tapped the end of the vise grips clockwise and counter clockwise with a smaller hammer. Once I got them to twist a little they came right out. My blazer was over 25 yrs old at the time, so I had one of the worst case cenarios(sp). Good luck and be patient.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

When I took the one of my 88 I sprayed about a quarter of a can of PB Blaster on it and beat on it with a five pound sledge. Then I started working on my lift and a couple hours later, probably about 3-4, I sprayed it down again and beat on it some more. At the end of the day I sprayed it down again and left it overnight. It still wouldnt budge so me and my buddy took turnts beating the hell out of it and eventually one of the little wedge nuts popped out. Once we got the first one the rest were pretty easy. Just be patient and beat on it and they will eventually pop off.

Good luck

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?