Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering 2wd no good 4wd good?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Jun 19, 2001.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

ok, heres the latest problem. my draglink was junk so i replaced it and the steering is still scary. it wobbles left and right when it should be going straight. when i turn the wheel its like its over correcting itself. now when im still in 2wd and i lock the hubs it doesnt wander at all. it tracks straight but the steering wheel is still vauge. same in 4wd. my jimmy is stock with 31's any one else have this problem? any suggestions?

Craig

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

1. Ball joints
    2. Bad caster angle.
    Other than that it could be bad springs letting the front end wrap up and that leads to wandering or bad tie rod ends.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

check the box. I just went through this on my friends truck. It had alot of play in the box. Had to turn steering wheel 1/4 before box turned. Somethings loose!! also check the frame for cracks and see if the box moves when turned.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

Other than checking for spring pins and spring retainer bolts, pull you axle shafts out and check your axle u-joints, I'll bet one is froze, this happened to me, one was froze and it did exactly as yours is doing, locked it in and it steered like a dream, let me know,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.