Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering all funky, replaced almost everything, now what?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've replaced almost everything in the front end... first put in the ORD brace, then replaced tie rod ends, ball joints, brakes, calipers, drag links, and the gear box. Steering is still kinda off. Very unstable. So I switched to new springs ( thinking that perhaps the bushings or something else was worn out there). Still screwy. The only thing I notice now is that when I turn the steering wheel left and right, be body moves. The body mounts are shot, could this be the cause of my problems?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i dont know what kinda suspension you are running, but you may need a panhard bar?
    or it may just be the body mounts, id check those first, cuz Panhard bars are usually just used on very flexy or very tall suspensions.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Overall lift is somewhere around 4-5 inches. Seen very few of our trucks using a panhard bar.. especially in the front. Especially seems weird since it's doing it in 2wd mode.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Do you have a swaybar?
    My steering was really jacked. It wanted to wander all over the road. I thought I had it traced down to the WTO steering assist setup and was going to send that back. Then I thought to stiffen up my 9012s and that fixed the problem. Mine was wandering because of the body roll from not having a swaybar...

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I have a swaybar, hooked to the ORD swaybar disconnect. All the bushings are tight. Maybe too tight? Humm.