Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering and Transmission troubles...PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72K5BEAST, Jan 29, 2002.

1. 72K5BEAST

72K5BEAST Registered Member

Hey everyone, i need a little help with my truck. First with the steering problem. When i turn the wheel to the left or right i hear a thump from underneath the truck and i can feel the thump if i have my foot on the floor. That's the extent of that problem. Now i'm not quite sure if the next problem is transmission or not but i was driving down the road and all of the sudden when i hit the gas the engine revved up really high and i couldn't accelerate. So i came to a complete stop and then tried again. This time i could accelerate...but only to about 6-7 mph and then it would rev really high again. I turned the truck off and then turned it back on and tried again and it accelerated just fine...anyone know what the deal is?
    Thanks everyone
    White 72 K-5 350
    Charlie

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The first problem sounds like your ball joints may be crapping out on you...I experienced the same thump when the truck is stopped or moving slowly...and I know my ball joints are preatty much toast...As for the tranny, it sounds like it was slipping pretty badly...Was that the first time you experienced the tranny problem? I am not by any means a tranny expert so I will let someone else field the tranny issue, but you may want to check your TV cable...possibly a low line pressure could have caused the slipping[​IMG] Plenty has been posted about replaceing your ball joints...I picked up my ball joints ate Advance Auto Parts for $100 for all 4 and they were the good TRW ones...but it is a time consuming process (replaceing the balljoints that is)

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram&gt;My 87 Blazer&lt;/a&gt;&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by fortcollinsram on 01/29/02 04:50 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by fortcollinsram on 01/29/02 04:51 PM.</FONT></P>