Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm 1 Twisted skipper 0

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TwistedSkipper, Oct 6, 2006.

1. TwistedSkipper

TwistedSkipper Registered Member

ok, i know countless threads have been done about this bugger coming off. i once read that there is a "sweet spot" to pound on to break it free from them cone washers. I have been beating it with a 3lb hammer in pretty much all spots, and i even hit one of the studs and damn near ruined the threads. I sprayed on some PB blaster and whacked it over and over. i dont have a torch so i ended up putting it back together. what am i doing wrong?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pound down on it as if you're trying to put it on. Pounding upwards only seats the washers harder. Side to side also works. As soon as you see a cone washer come a little loose use some pliers to unthread it.

Rene

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Is the drag link still attached? I beat my steering arm for hours with no luck until I detached the drag link. After that it only took a couple of good hits and it popped right off.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Soak it with Kroil over night. Hit it like you mean it.

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

man, I just took the one off my 71 a couple days ago. 35 years of rusted together and I only used a heavy hammer and hit the side of it like 4 times and the cones poped loose. I take a small straight screwdriver and wedge into the slit and pull the cones off. Same with semi rears too

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a plumbers torch kit. it has mapp gas and oxygen, about 5 feet of hose and a striker. it was $50 and worth every penny. any hardware store has them. I beat on one till exhaustion after it soaked in PBlaster. put the heat to it and VIOLA!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  7. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Mine would'nt budge till I smacked out near where the draglink is connected,had to really put some stank on it.Good Luck.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is not the preferred method but I have heard of guys taking the nuts loose and moving the steering back and forth and using the power steering to help bust it loose. I would exhaust the hammer method with penetrating oil and also heat before I would resort to that method.

Harley

9. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

when i did mine i hit on it, heated it, soaked it, you name it i did it, then i decided to buy some new cones and just drill the old ones out

10. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

yeah i beat mine for days, had to drill out the washers. Mine also broke so i didn't have any real good places to hit it either.

11. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

mine came right off when i hit it on the side opposite of where the drag link connects to it. Acouple good hits n that side and the cones will start whiggling out. just remember to not hit it down or up cause it will seat the cones tighter.
    pat

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

not too fustrate you or anything but I have had to cut off two of them on different trucks (one on a chevy the other on a dodge) and then I have had some pop right off. Sounds like you got a hard one. Try all the suggestions above and then if they don't work get some good cut off wheels for your grinder and have fun :eek1:

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Wow! :eek1:

Sounds like you're having a hell of a time looking for the "sweet spot", even "beating it in pretty much all the spots", wacking it "over and over". Of course like was already mentioned "sounds like you have a hard one".

Some of the advice is pretty good I guess, pure force seems to be the most popular solution, "hit it like you mean it" Hell one guy even said he "beat on one till exhaustion", another guy, "beat (his) for days... broke so I didn't have any real good places to hit it either"! Sounds a bit extreme to me.

Some of the advice is focussed on your technique though, "side to side also works", "soak it", use "oil". In fact the one suggestion, "wedge into the slit" is usually what I try to do, every once in a while though it is pretty cool to "put some stank on it" if you can!

Whatever you do brother DO NOT LISTEN TO Blazinzuk, "Try all the suggestions above and then if they don't work get some good cut off wheels for your grinder and have fun :eek1:"

It just ain't worth it!

14. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:haha:Thanks for the rundown of events...

15. Moody

Moody 1/2 ton status

I just removed mine a couple of days ago using the BFH method and nothing seemed to work....then I read somewhere (was it here?) that if you take a hardened impact socket just slightly larger than the cone washer and hit on top the socket it will jar the washer loose. After 3-4 whacks on each one they all came loose! I removed the arm in ten minutes as opposed to three days with PB, torches and beating crap out of the arm!