Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm help???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gaine7, Nov 28, 2001.

1. gaine7

gaine7 Registered Member

I am trying to remove the original steering arm. I got the the nuts loose with no problem, I just need to figure out how to get the link and arm off. The drag link? has the two greaseable ends, and the bolt that goes through the steering arm is pretty tight. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? email me gaine7@hotmail.com or post here thanks

clemson, sc

Clemson K5 1979

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG] LMAO!!!

Those can be a PITA!!! [​IMG]

If you do a search, you will find everybody's answer pretty much the same as the next person.........use a BFH!!! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Actually Wes there's a combo of two things [​IMG] a BFH (pm me if you want an explanation) and a Torch [​IMG] Works quite well.

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

go to sears and get a 10 lb sledge hammer. i broke a 18 ounce craftsman dead blow, and then got the sledge (BFH). it came off in a matter 10 hits at that point. good luck!

Sorry bout the (lack) of caps, the left shift button died on the keyboard [​IMG]...

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

5. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Can't you just go down to Autozone and rent one of their forks, making sure you don't destroy the rubber dust cap when you insert the fork? The forks are for tie rod ends.

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Forks won't do a thing for a steering arm removal. BFH!

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

7. gaine7

gaine7 Registered Member

Thanks people, I used the BFH a few times but wasn't sure if I should hit the tie rod end that hard. I know I called it a drag link, but whatever, still a 9 year rookie mechanic. I have the fork and was trying to seperate the dust boot from the end of the steering arm. Where is my point of contact for my BFH?(the BFH is a 3lbs. lump hammer and it wont break, it's older than I am 25+) I am just afraid to damage the tie rod or the threaded end of the bolt where the king nut came off. Thanks again

Clemson K5 1979

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I got mine off hammering the crap out of the fork, but if that's not working, hit the front of the knuckle, where the joint bolts in. That'll distort the eye for a split second, and hopefully the tie-rod'll drop right out. If that doesn't work, put the nut back on upside down, screw it down so there's only a thread or two not on, and hit that. One or two hits should break it free, then you can unscrew the nut and drop the rod out. As for the arm, I've never done it myself, but I've heard it's a pretty rotten job.... I'll probably be doing it soon too...

Good luck with it!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

9. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

I just did the same thing. First, if you are talking about the drag link (goes between your sterring box and steering arm), then put the fork inbetween the deag link and steering arm and beat the crap out of the end of the fork until you wedge it out of its socket. If you are talking about the tie rod (goes from one wheel to the other) you dont need to remove it for anything.
    To get the steering arm off: saturate the cone washers with Blaster or other penetrating lube every day for a couple of days, then beat DOWN on the steering arm to loosen the tapered washers. Once they start popping up you can take them out and the steering arm will come right off. Dont hit UP on the arm or you will just be wedging it into the cone washers even more. Heat on the steering arm will help tremendously, but I didn't have a torch. Good luck, it is a great feeling of satisfaction when that SOB comes off.

10. gaine7

gaine7 Registered Member

Got it off thanks guys.....

Clemson K5 1979