Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm on 2wd box for x-over

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Sep 8, 2004.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

what steering arm are ya'll using for x-over on the 2wd box?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The cheapest way is to get an arm off an 80s full size Ford Van. Mine came from something like an 85 for $6. This has almost exactly the correct minimal drop to clear the frame. The only problem is that it has a tiny hole for the Ford drag link end. This hole must be opened up for the GMs which are MUCH larger using (IIRC) a 7* taper reamer. Not very common, but they can be found, and most any machine shop can do it if you have a friend with access. Without a friend (or some way to borrow the reamer), typical machine shop rates kill the cost advantage.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am using a BDS pitman arm for a late 70's ford. Most of the guys around here are using a Superlift pitman from the same application.

4. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What tierods are you guys running with the Ford drop pitman arm. The way I understand is this- chevy Drag Links Ends have a different taper but could handle a greater angles.

Chevy TieRod Ends fit most aftermarket high-steer arms but handle limited angles. But I want to know if Chevy TRE will fit the Ford drop pitman arm without modifications. Has anyone use a Ford TRE?

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

you can also use the arm off fullsize cherokees and waggies