Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm on the knuckle.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Nov 12, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

How do you get that booger off? My bud got a lift with a raised steering arm and we can't get the old one off. I am thinking we might have to get some heat to it?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Take off the 3 nuts and hit down on the top of it, near where the drag link hooks to it at. You may be able to remove the cone washers with a pliers/vice grips after you break them loose; remove by "unscrewing" them. I would avoid using heat as it will burn your balljoint boot.

How do you have the vehicle supported?

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

do a search, lots of info here on the subject. to sum it up, you need a BFH. 4lb or more should sufice.

id not recomend heat unless you want to do balljoints. the BFH swinging will most likely toll the upper balljoint as it is.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, 4lb club hammer or bigger and punch it about. Hit it from all angles HARD and it will go. Once loose the conical washers should lift out and that's that! But DON'T put a raised arm on unless you've gone 6" + on the lift. Anything less will give you horrific bump steer.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Soak the hell out of it with PB blaster for a couple of days. The last one we did we took a wire wheel and cleaned all the rust off of the studs and cone washers. We heated the cone washers a little and took a small chiesel and hammer and worked the washers loose..................

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mudjunkie /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif....a blown 540!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I would a thought you could of just fired up that motor and your steering arm would have run in fright!!!