Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justwhatido, May 11, 2005.

1. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

have a block to raise the steering arm to get a lesser angle after a 2" lift.

When I remove the nuts holding on the steering arm, can I remove the bolts to replace with the longer ones (and accomodate the new block) without disassembling the whole king pin assy?

Fred

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

How big of a block did you get? I ask because most blocks are 3" which would be too much and cause bump steer problems.

Yes, you can pull the studs out without disassembling the knuckle (you really only need to remove the tire). Beware, there are cone "washers" under the nuts that can be really hard to get out. Patience, penetrant and a heavy hammer are your friend. I have a fairly decent stud remover if you need it.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You don't really need any steering corection with just 2" of lift. Do you have to turn the wheel one way when you are stoping and the other way when you accelerate to keep it from changing lanes?

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Just double nut the studs to get them out. Put two nuts on the studs about half way down and tighten them against each other. Then put a wrench on the bottom nut to loosen the stud.