Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-3/4t-bad boy, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

what are those little conical things called that go around the bolt? :confused: and where can i get some. i seem to have used a little 2 much excessive force to get them off. :rolleyes: they wouldnt come off with the penetrating lube. i also heated it up. didnt work. so i took the axle off and flipped it over and to a 8lb. slede hammer to the steering arm. :doah: not a good idea. they came off. but two are messed up. the top part is all cut up and bent in (from before with a screwd driver. friends idea. not mine) and i think i need two new ones. also when i took the axle off the front there was a line coming form god knows where to the front diff.? i thought it was a oil line so i got a bucket to put under it. but nothing came out. it looked like there hasnt been anything going through it in a long time. sooo... what is it. i didnt notice it on my half ton so its new to me. noob. could it have anything to do with my auto 4x4 hubs?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

They are called conical washers. You could probably get them at Napa or some of the other parts stores. Check the dealer as well. OTC makes special pliers for removing them the correct way.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

They are called conical washers and are designed to pinch down as you force the arm up. Kind of a safety device so your steering arm doesn't come off the knuckle while you are driving. To get them out I have always removed the nuts and hit the arm with a BFH till the washers break loose a little then get in there with some needle nose pliers and yank them out. If you do not remove them this way you will end up doing what you did.....hindsight 20-20.

Anyways you should be able to order a set from Offroaddesign. They can have stuff shipped to you with in 2 days of ordering and they know there stuff.

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

That is just a breather hose for the front differential. It attaches to the crossmember IIRC.

5. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i got mine at the dealer but they are pricey little things, if i remember list price was $12 each

6. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

sky manufacturing sells em too. Dont by parts from the dealer. Or if you're set on doing that, call me and I'll get em from the "dealer" and ship em to ya...:D