Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seanmballesteros, Apr 19, 2007.

1. seanmballesteros

seanmballesteros Newbie

so i was installing a 6" rough country lift on my 87 blazer tonight when i ran into a problem. i was trying to install my new raised steering arm but i could not remove the old one. i seperated the steering arm from the drag link and undid the 3 bolts on the knuckle but could not get it off of the knuckle. There appears to be 3 seat clamp type things on the studs where these 3 washers came off of. Does anyone know what they are and how to remove them so i can remove the steering arm?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

this has been covered before... but you cant search, so here's the summary:

you need to remove those cone washers (3 peices) from the studs in order to get the old steering arm off. To do so there are a couple approved methods,

1) BFH. Drench the cone washers in PB Blaster (or similar) the night before attempting. The next morning, get the biggest hammer you own or have access to, and start whacking the old steering arm where the numbers are cast into it. Eventually, the cone washers will work free and you can remove them from the studs, then remove the arm.

2) Blue Wrench + BFH. Same as above, except you use heat to help motivate the little bastards to move

3) replace knuckle with a new knuckle

4) replace axle with a Dana60

those last two options arnt cheap... or quick. Have patience and one of the first two methods will work.

3. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I prefer a chisel. I hate hamering on the arm.

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Hit the TOP of the arm downward. I know it seems backwords but it's not. Don't hit upwards or you will only tighten the grip. Don't be afraid to hit it.