Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm removal GOD...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBurban, Aug 28, 2000.

1. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Swapped in my 3/4 ton front end this weekend and I'm dreading taking this steering arm off [​IMG]. It's 7am on Saturday, so I can't do any REAL assaulting/cursing just yet. I took the nuts off and thought, "What the hell... I can get a few quick whacks in before the neighbors triangulate my position." [​IMG] I gave it two solid downward blows with a 3lb mallet and it popped all three inserts out. [​IMG] MAN! I'm preparring for a 3 hour battle and the damn thing popped off in 5 seconds. I couldn't believe it... I just had to try my luck on the 1/2 ton front end... 3 shots and IT came off!!! I must be blessed or something [​IMG]. Seriously, both these front ends have spent their entire lives in Arizona (along with my truck). I've yet to have a single stuck bolt on the truck. I'm originally from the midwest and have been there and done that when it comes to spending uncounted hours on a single bolt with a air chisel, sledge hammer, and 30 gallons of penetrating oil. Rust sucks... Just thought I'd share [​IMG].

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

2. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Could be luck, I have hit that arm sidways and upward, but not downward to pop out the cone washers. Sounds like your on to something. Nike in Mo.

Blue

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

i must be blessed as well, i've gotten all the ones i've tried off in 3-5 whacks, i whack it at the bottom of the "U" in a downward motion and that has always popped the cones out. My brother fought with one off and on for a month, i walked up, Whack ,whack, whack, There you go!
    i wish i was that lucky with the ladies!

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

4. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Qiuck play the lotto [​IMG]

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

5. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

God I wish mine was that easy. I just spent 2 days pounding on mine with a 10 pound sledge with a 2 and a half foot handle. Up, down, sideways it didn't matter....On about the 1256th hand numbing, ear ringing smack I noticed the rear most cone washer had unseated about a half a millimeter, I was utterly amazed and exhausted....Anyway the last one came off about 4 hours and half a can of WD40 later. It was all worthit in the end though. The new 4" Tuff Country lift, Rancho 9000's and various Offroad Designs components are all working great together. The steering arm wasn't the only frequently sworn at piece of rust induced imobility underneath the ol' '79. Broke my breaker bar and snapped off about 5 or 6 9/16 diameter bolts. I guess it's to be expected after 20 years up here on the west aka "wet" coast.

Jim

79jimmy@sprint.ca