Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Arm Removal. Need Help????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tuff, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I can not get the damn thing off. Is there something I'm missing? I removed it from the ball joint. And, I removed the three nuts on top of the spindle. But I can't get the arm to break loose. Any, advise would be great. Thanks

2. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

Try Hitting the top of it with a big hammer, then the cone washers should loosen up a bit, take those out, and the arm will come off easy. Hitting it from the bottom won't really help till you get those washers out, it just makes them grab more.

3. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

Thanks I'll try that. I have been trying to just lift it off with every tool I own.

4. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

it seems to work best if you hit it on the very end where the joint goes

5. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem..When installing my steering arm.First I removed the knucle and spindal then I used a blow torch to remove the steering arm..basically just melted it off...then put new studs in and cone washers and all metal lock nuts....then new ball joints...

6. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I talked to the guys at the shop who built my rear-end and they said to soak the cones with penitrating oil (I prefer Aero-Kroil)and hit the arm with big ass hammer. I've done this a few times now and if you hit it hard several times it will pop loose.