Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm removal ulitmate tip!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Aug 7, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Probably already been covered, but I found it out mmyself last night. I remember last thread had a picture of where to hit down on the arm, but i have something more definite. On the arm there is a number stamped. With a 3lb sledge hit right on the number- within 4 swings the cone washers were all pulled out by hand.

Just thought I'd share.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

*writes mental note to self to remember* /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i heated it up with an oxy/acetylene torch for well over 30 minutes...then soaked the piss outta them with pb blaster...finally after hittin it with a huge sledge...i got it off. took a while....and some work. thanx for the tip

NITRO

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i heated it up with an oxy/acetylene torch for well over 30 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

The blue wrench fixes everything!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Except your balljoints

6. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i heated it up with an oxy/acetylene torch for well over 30 minutes...then soaked the piss outta them with pb blaster...finally after hittin it with a huge sledge...i got it off. took a while....and some work. thanx for the tip

NITRO

[/ QUOTE ]wouldnt this be bad for the studs,and possibly you?

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm.....I don't know what ya'all are doin wrong....But it must be somethin. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've never taken more than 5 minutes to remove any steering arm. I've removed 10+. Never had any problems removing and installing ball joints. Done this 8 or 9 times. I can take both the cast perches off a 1 ton 14b FF in less than 20 minutes. BOTH in less than 20 minutes. Done this 3 times. Installed a 465/203 combo (400+lbs) by myself with nothin but a floor jack and a block of wood in about an hour. Only fell off the jack twice. I've got 2 big divits in the concrete to prove it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You live in Cali where nothing rusts. I've seen bare metal on vehicles not rust there!

Try removing one of those steering arms that has lived in Illinois salty roads for 20 years. You'll understand then.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You live in Cali where nothing rusts. I've seen bare metal on vehicles not rust there!

Try removing one of those steering arms that has lived in Illinois salty roads for 20 years. You'll understand then.

[/ QUOTE ] Yep! I live in NorCal all my life along with my blazer and not a spot of rust and bolts that haven't been touched in 17 years can still a pain in the ass to remove (I remember from my body lift install). My brother in law bought a 79 Ford from Maryland and everything is rusted together almost solid!

85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just cause I live in Cali doesn't mean things don't rust. I live in a part of Cali that see's a fair amount of snow & ice etc. We've had 3-4' of snow at a time. They salt the hell out of the roads here in the winter. So I DO know what rust is all about. I had to totally rebuild the cab floor in my truck from rust. So things do rust here. I have removed some seriously rusted on steering arms. I don't care what part of the country a truck is from, or how rusted it is, I can remove any steering arm in under 15 mintues.

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yepp nothing rusts in vegas either! i did my suspension lift body lift and many other mods without ever needing any WD40, and ive never even seen PB blaster! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about an aftermarket steering arm or the stocker. I'm trying to get off an aftermarket one and don't remember how the sleeves are on there. I was hitting it both from top and bottom. I was going to put some heat on it, but was afraid of messing up the ball joint. Any other tip for removal of an aftermarket to put the stocker back on? Please help!!

13. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i am not sure if my 1984 blazer is originally from the
    east coast , but i did my 4" lift and removed all
    bolts with a ratchet. no wd-40 or torch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    also i have mininum rust /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

this is a pretty clean, minimal rust Indiana axle on my daily driver

I got the rear washer out using a little propane torch to heat up the little part on the back, after beating on it didn't work. OK, so just smack it a couple time and it will pop off right!? WRONG! I beat on the steering arm witha 2lb hammer for 45 minutes, using blunt force to the back, front and the part of the arm where it attaches to the drag link. Soaked it with PB Blaster come back the next day and start again. Punches, chizles and wedges... nothing is breaking these washers loose on the front two studs. Finally after about an hour I get the drill out and drill in beside the washer and spray it down with PB Blaster let it sit over night again. Next day go back out, spray it again, use the vice grips to try to thread the washers out. Still nothing. Go buy a torch setup, heat the arm up for a good 30 minutes and beat on it till I thought my arm was going to fall off. Mind you this is a fairly rust free indiana axle. Stock arm put on by the factory, never been off never been changed in 15 years at 180+K miles.

After heating it didn't work we cut the damn thing out, using a chizle to finish the last bits of the cuts so as not to damage the knuckle. As you can see the center stud broke off once we got it out. The front stud ended up breaking when I put the new raised arm on, snapped off before I even got it torqued down. SO, today Thursday the 9th, I'm going out to put in 3 new studs and reinstall the arm on my fairly rust free but yet a highly PITA front axle.

SO, I say it depends on alot of things as to how these arms come off. I even tryied the trick of loosening up the nuts and driving around the block swerving back and forth to try to jog it up and that didn't help. The nuts came up pretty easy. I sprayed everything for the lift install everynight for a week with WD-40. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i just used my air hammer. worked real nice. took about 15 min total, if that.
    Grant

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just cause I live in Cali doesn't mean things don't rust. I live in a part of Cali that see's a fair amount of snow & ice etc. We've had 3-4' of snow at a time. They salt the hell out of the roads here in the winter. So I DO know what rust is all about. I had to totally rebuild the cab floor in my truck from rust. So things do rust here. I have removed some seriously rusted on steering arms. I don't care what part of the country a truck is from, or how rusted it is, I can remove any steering arm in under 15 mintues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad axles are so expensive to fix. You could make some serious cash doing that! I know I would have been glad to hand you the hammer and $50 and said have at it the last couple times I have needed to remove that worthless arm.

I've actually never sucessfully got it off with the axle on the truck. Usually I use a 20 lb. sledge and it takes me a while beating on it.

EDIT:

I have tried the air hammer too. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

17. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad axles are so expensive to fix. You could make some serious cash doing that! I know I would have been glad to hand you the hammer and $50 and said have at it the last couple times I have needed to remove that worthless arm.

I've actually never sucessfully got it off with the axle on the truck. Usually I use a 20 lb. sledge and it takes me a while beating on it.

EDIT:

I have tried the air hammer too. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Jeremy-

What makes you want to actually post up what you did to your steering arm? This pic is scary.

[​IMG]

Remind me to keep you away from my truck with that torch of yours.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeremy-

What makes you want to actually post up what you did to your steering arm? This pic is scary.

Remind me to keep you away from my truck with that torch of yours.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of sleep usually /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    The torch is out of Oxygen so your safe for now /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif