Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm removal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boondock, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Boondock

Boondock Registered Member

I finally installed the 4" Rough Country lift this weekend. It came with a new steering arm, however, I couldn't get the old one off to save my life. I spent hours, trying every trick I know how, and nothing worked. I got the tree nuts off the bolts on the steering arm, and I got the extension arm off the steering arm. I used a sledge, pipe, crowbar, everything... no luck. So in order to get the truck out of the shop, I just left the old steering arm on. It looks like it's at a wicked angle, and I don't imagine it would stay like that for any length of time. My question is this: can I leave that old steering arm on there? What are the consequences? If not, how the heck do I get the old arm off? Any specialtiy shops do that sort of thing? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

The only easy day was yesterday.
    Second place is a body bag.

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Well what you need to do is take a BFH (big F@#King hamer) and a torch.....first off take the torch and heat up the steering arm around the cones/studs and then wack the [censored] out of the steering arm...it might help ya if you pull the hub and rotor off just to get it out of the way..keep hittin it untill the cone loosen up then take a pair of pliers and pull the cones out...then lift the steering arm off...it took me about 2 hrs to get mine off...it is a long process.

Chaz

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Apparently you didn't try hard enough. I wouldn't leave the stock arm on like that. You will not have a full right hand turning radius. You really need to work at it more. There was a similar post about this a couple weeks back. Go search for that post and read it. All it takes it some more time and the right tools. Don't give up.

Oh, BTW, I took off a steering arm this past weekend, off a D44. It had been on for some time and the nuts were rusted on. I got those nuts off with a breaker bar and sprayed the studs. Then I got a 4x4 wood post and beat the p!ss out of it by striking on the top and bottom of the part where the drag link bolts on. It broke loose and I used channel locks to twist out the cones. Time? Approx. 20 minutes from start to finish.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by thatK30guy on 03/25/01 05:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

You have to beat the hell out of it... I did the same kit.. hit it hard... on the two opposite edges to "rock" it back and forth.. it will pop off!!!

You cant hit it too hard!!!

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I just did this on my D44... I beat the hell out of it w/ a 10 lb. sledge.... The arm would wiglle a bit, but not come off... so I took a big pry bar and hit it w/ the hammer so the prybar slide under the arm... kinda pryed on it and then did the same on the other side... back and forth... was a royal $#@!#. About an hour and a half to do.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

If all else fails.. just burn the B!TCH. I just did this earlier today... finished my 6" lift an hour ago. Got one of those little butane torches and a big sledge from Home Depot. Those torches are pretty cool, just press the little button and it fires right up. First I took off the tie rod to free up some room to wack the arm from the front. Then I heated the arm around the three studs... not on the actual stud. Had the flame on for about 4 mins total. It only took about 10 hits with the sledge and the cones popped loose. Total time about 15 mins... not counting the drive to Home Depot.
    Good luck

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Glad to see you got your lift on. You need to get the arm replaced though. Did you do the body lift too?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

8. Boondock

Boondock Registered Member

Fellas,
    Thanks for he help. I spent another two hours on it today. I kept at it like y'all said, and finally, with the mini sledge, popped her right off. I thought there were supposed to be rubber cone washers, but they were metal ones... and boy were they rusted in there. Oh well, mission accomplished. Thanks again for your help. Funny story, we lost my friends F150... and I found it under my newly lifted Blaze.

The only easy day was yesterday.
    Second place is a body bag.