Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm removal ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Jan 1, 2005.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to install a 4" extended steering arm and am having problems trying to figure out how to remove the 3 coned washers on the arm. I tried searching, but theads don't have any info or tips to remove. Thereare three nuts, which I already removed, that attach the arm to the knuckle on one end, and the TRE upper ball joint on the other end.

These coned washers have a little slit that runs through it. I don't necessarily need to re-use these as I have others from the axle I'm swapping in

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Use a small chisel and punch them right down into the slit in the cones, that should drive them right up. Works every time for me.

3. blublaz

blublaz 1/2 ton status

I just remove the nuts, start the motor and work the wheel back and forth. A little juice works too, I prefer MGD. Throw some WD or rust free in there.

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

hit the arm DOWN w/ a big f'ing hammer, the cones will start to come up a little and you can pull them out w/ vise grips

5. la_blazer82

The nuts are already off, but the arm is still attached the the three bolts there. I've been banging a bit with a BFH and no luck yet. I'll try the other tips thanks. Anything else that works??

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

keep hitting hit, up and down, side to side.

7. la_blazer82

This thing is a be-otch! To top things off, came back from a week in Tahoe, and my neighbor tells me that Parking Enforcement has been taking pics of my drive way (K5 up in stands, and D44 sitting on side of driveway). I live on the corner of one of the main streets in Pico.

If I could get this steering arm off, I could at least slide in the D44, and get the 10b out of the way and make it look decent enough that they wouldn't mess with me.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a lagre breaker bar,as a wedge and a BFH. With a little movement, the air hammer went to work.Mine would not budge with just the hammer. A buddy tried a wood splitting wedge, but couldn't get the angle.

9. la_blazer82

Thank you for the tips. Gonna try all of these.

10. anthony stark

anthony stark Registered Member

I was in your situation. What has happened is they have compressed onto the threads.Unscrew them (like a nut) by tapping with a screwdriver in their groove.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I was fighting with this thing this past weekend. Thanks for the tips!

12. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

You do have it down to the spindle on that side, don't you? I tried one day for a little whlie with the rotor on...didn't work well. Tried again with hubs and everything off and just beat the hell out of it from that side and one finally started to come up. Once you get one up, the other 2 will come out in no time.