Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Jul 14, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

OK, for the third time I will be removing a stock steering arm to put on a raised one. The other vehicles were an 81 and 86 Blazer. This time its on a 73 K20. In the past Ive just beaten on 'em with a hammer, then got a bigger hammer, after a few hours, beat some more n finally get it off.
    Does anyone have any tips or tricks on an easier way to do this. I am not looking forward to swinging a 4 pound hammer til my arms are jello.
    :1zhelp:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do a search, this comes up every month. Everyone does it differently, but all use a large hammer

Get a bigger hammer

I used a braker bar and a sledge (BFH) hammer after putting penetrating oil on them overnight.

Good luck :D

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Took 2 off yesterday, 5lb sledge. Some pb blaster in and on the conical washers so they break free easier, but once you break the cones it should just slide out.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

5lb hammer on back side of knuckle . works for me.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I just use my 32 ounce (2 pound) ball pien hammer, usually about 8 or 10 whacks and they're off.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i used cbbr's method of soaking it overnight in PB blaster. i use a short 3lb sledge and it took about 5 min of slammin to get it off.

one good place to hit it is about 6" up the arm from the 3rd bolt. the other good thing to do is remove the balljoint and smack it there.

just beat, beat, beat. i haven't really heard of any finesse methods to gettin this thing off

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not sure if it'll work on those bigger cone washers, but the way to get the small cone washers off Aisin locking hubs on yoters is to remove the nut and washer. Then using a brass punch hit the stud directly on it's end, Drive it straight into the wheel hub. That vibes the cones out of their hidey-holes.

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'v had good luck getting them with a BFH but me and James (79Stomper) spend a entire day and about 20 tools trying get on off. If they are real stubborn and the truck is on wheels take the nuts off and turn the wheel a little, should pop the cones out, just dont go crazy with it

9. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

After beating it for a while and go frustrated i tried something else that was really easy. all i did was weld the nut to the cone washer (carefully) and the just unscrewed the nut out, it came out so easy, just like that.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You may have already done this but try hitting down instead of up once the backside is up slide a screwdriver under there and alternate hitting up and down.

11. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I agree with the brass hammer/punch method. if you "shock" the studs, after soaking it down really good. they pop off fairly easy. i give it a few good hits all around and they go. usually takes 5-15 minutes.

1 can of PB
    1 BFH/good air hammer
    1 brass hammer/punch
    12 pack of cold beverages optional.

12. trailblazr81

Well the cones are almost flush with the arm so I couldnt weld the nut to 'em. I just kept spraying with WD40 and banging with 4 pound hammer. When I was tired and couldnt swing that anymore I used the 2 pound. I dunno how long but when I was about to give up one cone washer loosened enough to take out. After a while a second...then finally the third. I was exhausted and soaked with sweat...why must it be 90 degrees out when I do this?? Oh ya... lucky me I damaged threads on one of the studs. More work!! :doah:

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Next time you remove one you can leave the nuts threaded on the top of the studs, it will protect the threads.

;)

14. trailblazr81

Ya that seems simple and easy. Guess heat and frustration was getting to me and I didnt think of it... :doah: