Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blaze4999, Apr 9, 2006.

1. blaze4999

blaze4999 Registered Member

I need help! I can't get my old rusted steering arm off my dana 44. I researched it and found that there are conical washers around the stud bolts. I don't know how to get them out. I've tried soaking it in wd 40 and beating it with a hammer. I was hoping someone knew a good way to get it off though.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

minimal hammer is 4lb and up. just rail it good a few times at the ends and she should pop up a bit.

3. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

You might want to soak in something better then WD-40, maybe PB Blaster or another pentrating lube. You're gonna have to use something bigger then just a regular hammer, I used a 5lb sledge hammer on mine, hit down by where the tie rod end would connect. Be prepared to hit for a while, especially if they salt out there.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

PB Blaster. 8lb sledge. Wedge. Time, time,.........

5. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know about seriously rusted, but I alternate beating on the arm front to back till one by one the conical washers pop up.

If everything is really rusted, I would heat the arm up with a torch and spray the studs with WD-40. Be careful, WD-40 is flammable and may catch fire when sprayed on a hot part. Yee-Haa!:eek1::eek::yikes::blush::crazy::D:weld:

The WD-40 should get sucked down the threads if the part is hot. Now hit the thing again till it breaks loose.

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I grabbed my conical washers with some big pliers and took them out no prob, then it didnt take much for the arm to come off.

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Most guys around here (Newfoundland) use a torch to burn it off. We use salt on the roads and it rusts out everything.

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Everything mentioned above and hit down not up to unseat the conical washers too.:wink1:

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I used a 3lb BFH and hit it twice where the first number is and it popped right up :thumb:

10. tappan

tappan Registered Member

Just put four inch lift on 78 blazer.
    Take a floor jack and a 6 or 8 inch piece of 2 inch square tubing.Place the jack and piece of tubing underneith the end you disconected from the drag link.Jack it up with a little pressure then use your hammer and strike just behind the studs.They will slowly start to come up. They will have threads on them so use your fingers and twist them out.

11. blaze4999

blaze4999 Registered Member

thanks for the advice I'm gonna have some fun working on it saturday. Hopefully it won't take all day. I have everything done on my lift except replacing the steering arm.