Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kilroy, Dec 3, 2001.

1. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

<font color=orange> I am trying to replace my stock steering arm on my 1990 jimmy 10 bolt corporate front axle with a raised arm. Unfortunately I am unable to get the old one off. I have loosened all 3 nuts and moved them to the top of the studs, I then proceeded to tap lightly on the nuts (ouch) like the instructions said, this did not work. I then tried hitting them harder and have even hit on the arm its self. None of this worked. Dose anyone out their know how to get this *@!@#$$ (stubborn) thing off.
    Thanks </font color=orange>

2. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Someone out there must have done this, help.

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

BFH + Torch + WD-40 = Removal of steering arm

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

a big ol hammer and some wd-40

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

5. 90BlazerK5

90BlazerK5 Registered Member

There was a post a couple of days ago about this.. Couple good ideas... to sum it up, one method is to spray the hell out of it with WD-40 or preferably, PB-Blaster, then beat the living hell out ofh te arm with a BFH. Method #2, which I havn't tried yet, is to loosen up the nuts a bit, then drive around the block a few times, making sure to crank the wheel plenty of times. Apparently, this will pop the cone washers right out. Good luck!

Where did all these damned dirty apes come from!?!

6. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Yup, get a bigger hammer!
    Actually I like the idea of heating to loosen things up.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Like everybody sais, keep hitting it. Make all the room you can around the arm, remove tire, jack it upp so there is plenty of room in the wheel well. Then try shocking the metal around the bolts with a few hard hits on the side. Then hit it upp and down at the draglink joint. Use a bigg sledge a couple of times to loosen it, and soon it will have to give.
    Dont get mad and damage the treads on the bolts though.
    Good luck.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Don't they make a puller for that?

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

9. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Mine on my 79 Jimmy took me like 4 hours, it was the first lift I had ever done. I learned a few things, when I did the one on the Burban when I pulled the axel I sprayed it WD-40 then took the u-bolts off, when I went back to the steering arm I turned the axel up side down and 1 smack with a 3# sledge made it fall off.
    When my uncle use to do them at the dealer the secret was to loosen the 3 nuts a little and drive around the block, crank the wheel a bunch of times and when you got ready to pull it off it popped right off.

<hr></blockquote>

Somebody asked that same question a while back. The above response was from 55willy. I hope he doesn't mind me copying and pasting the info, but maybe it will help.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

10. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Thanks everyone I will buy a 3 to 5 # sledge on my way home tonight and give that a try.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I beat the heck out of mine for quite some time with a regular hammer. No luck. I bought a 3lb sledge and still couldn't get it off. Part of my problem was that I just didn't have enough room. I finally removed the tie rod (with a tie rod fork) to give me some room up front. I squatted down and gave it one big wallup on the end of the arm. Popped right off.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!