Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89 Blazzer, Aug 9, 2000.

1. 89 Blazzer

89 Blazzer Registered Member

I have heard it many times before, it is a not very fun task. But, does anyone have a good method of removing these things? Mine is stuck on pretty good. I soaked it with WD and gave it a few hits with a hammer but no luck.

2. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Is your hammer the right brand? A BIG hammer or a HUGE hammer are the only things that will work. [​IMG] There is some stuff from Napa that is better than WD40, but I can't remember what it is. If you do a search through the archives you can find out what it is. Look under "stuck bolts". Hope this helps...

3. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

take a small sledge hammer, and hit down on it. it has cone shaped locks that tighten up if you hit up on the arm. take the hammer and continue to hit down until it comes loose...keep it up, it will event\ually will come off....that is what i had to do...it took 2 hours.
    i hope this helps...Kelboski

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Oh, now this is a fun one. I'll tell you this so you don't screw it up and make it harder on yourself. There are 3 cones that go in with the smaller part of the cone down. The larger part of the cone is on top where the bolt came off. I did not know this and saw a little lip on the top of the steering arm was and thought it was a washer. Well I got the air hammer out and started chiseling. Well i kept chiseling and got about no where but to find out they are in backwards of what i though. So after that several hours of beating the S*#t out of it. I went to my friends and got the torch. I heated the sucker untill it was read hot and blew away the chunks that i had made with the air hammer and then started beating it on the sides with a 3 pound sledge. IT STARTED MOVING. I praised god and then it came of rather easily with me beating it on opposite sides. So i would recommend heat to you. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Hope this helps. - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Get some PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil, WD40 doesn't work nearly as well as Blaster does. Completely SOAK the studs and wait a while for the stuff to work. Now get a BFH (when you find one that's too big, get a bigger one!) and hit it as hard as you can for as long as you can, then hit it some more. Only hit down and from the side, not up. You can never use too much penetrating oil either. Just remember that if you use the oil you can't use a torch... I don't think I need to explain why. Get some friends to take turns hitting it, you'll hurt less in the morning. Mine took 6 hours of punishment before it gave up the fight and the 3 studs were destroyed in the process. Good luck!

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I do a modified version of what Kelboski does. I hit it up a few times then smack it down. Work at the washers with a flat blade screw driver till I get one out then hammer up and down again and work on the next one. I have taken off two with this method and got both of them off in about 15 min.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

7. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

quiker than me Depdog!

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Dang, I'm either living right, or there's not a rust problem in California (duh!). The longest it has taken me to get one of these off is 5 minutes, and most of that time is spent looking for my big sledgehammer. Spray it with s*it, then wail on it with the sledge. Do not be afraid, whack that thing as hard as you can! The least amount of whacks, the better as you are stressing the ball joints as you're beating on the arm. Good luck!

ken

9. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

I did the same thing that Depdog did. Used a flat head screw driver on the cone washers and hit the handle of the screw driver with a hammer. Then I would go back to pounding the arm with a BIG hammer then back again. Took me and a buddy about an hour to do. Good luck.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you can get an air hammer with a chisel tip and a big torch, you can get it off by chiseling in the little gap under it at the rear of the arm. If you can't get an impact hammer, get a big sledge and pound, pound, pound.

OR... Leave it on there, take off the passenger side knuckle, have the top of it milled, put studs in it, mount an arm over there and do a steering crossover conversion. Just a thought.

85 pretending to be a 90
    350 swapped in for stock 305
    5" of suspension lift 33/12.5/16.5

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'm with Ken. Give me 5 minutes and a 10lb Sledgehammer and it's off. You have to hit it hard and with a heavy sledge. I've removed 3 like that with no problems. My mini sledge won't do it no matter how hard or how many times I hit it.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

12. 89 Blazzer

89 Blazzer Registered Member

Thanks for your help everyone. I tried the WD40 and a 3lbs hammer before I posted the question. After about 15 minutes of whacking, did not work worth a damn. After I recieved your replies, I went uptown and got PB Blaster and a 10lbs sledge. I soaked the cones, hit it about ten times, soaked them again and let it sit about 10 minutes then started smacking down on the arm. After about 10-15 hits it started to move took less than 10 minutes to remove. Thanks guys.

13. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Thats good to hear. You find over time that your best garage buddies become the big sledge, impact wrench and large prybar! I even have names for mine-

"Slugo" 10lb sledge

"Billy" impact wrench (from the movie Caddyshack)

"Mr Pry" large prybar

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

14. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

That sounds awful. Thank God I decided to get a dropped pitman arm instead! Thanks Skyjacker. But once I lift it more, I'll be doing the same thing as you guys.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Hey I was wondering with the sledge hammer thing.....I had 1 too many Zima Citrus and went out pounding on the thing and beat in some of the threads and well I think I might have damaged one of the studs too, can they be replaced or pressed back in it looks like the are pressed in from behind...thought yall may know..
    Brent

16. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

just removed mine tonight. Wish I saw this before i tried.
    wasent that bad only 20 min of beating with a 3 pound sledge.

17. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

All three were destroyed on mine. They are threaded in and mine came out with vice grips. I can't remember how much the new ones cost from the dealer, they were a little high though.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

18. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Get a big nut, drill a hole in it, screw it on top of the cone washer, drill in to the cone-turn-drill-turn-drill-turn.... You'll have it off in 1/2 hour.