Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KapeKodK5, Mar 20, 2000.

1. KapeKodK5

KapeKodK5 Registered Member

My lift kit is almost complete. All I have left is to replace the arm. I have the new lifted arm. I reomved the 3 nuts which retain it. I then soaked the studs for two days. today I heated the arm and the studs with a MAPP gas torch(I DON"T HAVE Actyelene yet) I struck the arm with a small sledge.... no luck the b*tch won't budge. does anyone have a tip or helpful suggestion. I want ot get this thing finished....

2. I had the same problem once and I didn't have anything fancy(tool wise), so I hooked the drag link back up and dropped her back on the ground and steered to the right and left, tapping it every once in awhile. It finally came loose, just watch so you don't mess up the studs !!

<font color=red>The last time I tried smokin' my tires, the mud put'em out !! BigBurb

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I had my lift kit done at the shop were I bought it for this very reason. It took them over six hours to get the steering arm off my 88 Jimmy. My truck is now famous among their mechanics as the worst vehicle they've ever worked on. I'm not sure how they finally got it off but I'm sure it involved a lot of swearing and probably a very large sledgehammer. Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to get it off myself.

Joe Gerzseny
    Rochester Institute of Technology
    Mechanical Engineering
    RIT Team Mini Baja

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i just did this yesterday.....i had to pull the rotor off and heat the [censored] out of it the wack on it as hard as u can then more heat......just keep doin it untill the press in cone shape things around the stud brake loose....then take a pair of pliers and pull them out.....then from there its easy...just lift the old arm off then set then new one down and put the cone things back in and torke the nuts down to 140 lbs and then u are set.
    Chaz

"The stuck lemon"

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Try an air hammer, thats what the tire shop that I had do mine used. I got my $20 worth out of them!

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Use a large sledge hammer with a lot of force. I've used this method on 4 GM trucks/K5's and it works every time. No damage to the old steering arms either. Steve will vouch for me since his was one of the 4...

Shawn
    87 K5

7. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Make sure that you're either hiting it on the side or on the top (driving it down).If you try to drive it up by hitting it on the bottom it wedges the cones in so they won't come out.Had that prob myself,til a wise man showed me how to use a (BIG) hammer.

8. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Didn't someone mention a while back about a gear-puller type of thing to get the arm off? I seem to remember it only taking 10 minutes with this puller thing?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Shawn's right, it just takes a big friggin sledgehammer (Mr. Slugo) with a little prying on each side as not to damage the cone washers.

Steve

10. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Ain't it a b*tch? Hit the arm with the sledge going in a parallel-to-the-ground direction. This will produce an upward force on the cone washers. Just keep wailin' on that mother. It takes about a solid hour or two (beer breaks not included). Be careful not to hit the studs!

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The folks that did mine just heated a bit then used a BFH and pounded a bit...then heat...then pound. Took all of 5 minutes.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral