Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seanmp, Dec 15, 2003.

1. seanmp

seanmp Registered Member

I just put on a 4" lift on my suburban, and I can't remove the steering arm. I've lifted the wheel off the ground using a bottle jack under the arm, soaked the area with penatrating fluid used heat, and a 5 lb hammer. Wont move. Any ideas?

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Don't hit the arm upwards...it just makes it tighter. The key is to hit the arm side to side and downward...not up. HEAT can be very helpful in loosening those crush washers. Soak it in a rust eater and try to tap the washers in circles with a small screwdriver to loosen them. Those washers are not threaded, but it can feel like it sometimes.
    Know what I mean ? This process can take anywhere from 2minutes to an hour, depending on different stuff, so don't frustrated and get your panties in a knot. Be cafeful about heating up your upper balljoint.
    Blake

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

"Some light tapping may be neccesary" this is the axact wording from superlift. It is a lie!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif You have to realy beat on the arm side to side and occasionally down. Use the biggest hand sledge you can find. Once your arm is ready to fall off you are half way done, call you buddy and have him beat on it while you rest your arm. That should almost work.
    Noted sarcasim amoung serious advice

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

channel locks and try to grab the cones and thread them out. Even after I had the washers out I still had some issues getting the arm off. I used a sledge on the back of the arm and down and ended up torching it off, literally (I also had to replace the studs, 1cone and the ball joints).

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I beat, and beat, and beat on mine. I did a search here, and someone came up with hitting the arm where the numbers are cast into the arm. I hit it there 3 times, and off it came. Soak the crap out of it with PB Blaster.

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

look on the arm, for some number stamped on, about half way up, on the top. hit it with a 3-5lbs sledge, straight down, for 5 minutes and it should come off. if you have more washers, and that doesn't work, break out the drill, and drill a side off each of the washers.

7. 1tonstepside

1tonstepside Registered Member

Take a screwdriver and hit the washers where they are split. It pops the washers out and then the arm comes right off.

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

As was mentioned. On the arm, toward the draglink end should be some numbers casted on the arm. Wack it there a few times, should pop it up. I hit mine 3 times with a 3lb hammer and it came off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. blackmule

blackmule Registered Member

when i replaced mine we tried for hours and everything to get it off. finally the only tool to get it off was the good old torch to burn that stuburn b#$tch off worked good after it was in peices /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

87 full size blazer

10. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Mine was a bitch to get off too, but I finally persuaded it. Bad thing was I had to grind some off the new one to get it to go down far enough.

11. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had to grind some off the new one to get it to go down far enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same here and slightly enlarge the holes.