Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4 Cowboy, Feb 5, 2004.

1. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">I Cant romove the steering arm from the knuckle (gm corp. 10 bolt) itook the bolts off but now what do i do? </font>

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Soak it with a good penetrating oil. Smack the hell out of it with a BFH. Some people on here say there is a sweeet spot to hit it, but I have never found it.

Be patient, xmack the heck out of it. Remove the cone washere as they come up, and smack it some more.

Get in a fight with the wife G/F, I'll bet that will make it come off sooner /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

THat about sums it up. sometimes you get lucky we just had one come off in about 8 good hits with a 5lb hammer. We had been spraying it with pb blaster for about two days. Good luck and this is probably the hardest part to installing one of the chevy lift kits.

Good luck

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Hit it on the top &amp; bottom where the DL mounts.

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

You can use a small punch or screwdriver and a hammer to tap on the cone washers in order to unthread them. Just insert the tip into the gap on the washer and tap the washer in a counterclockwise motion. After removing the washers it usually only takes a few taps with a hammer to get it off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem a few weeks back, here's what sf87k5 told me: Take a center punch and hit the top of the bolts themselves, this causes "jarring" effect on the cone washers, I went over each bolt, hit pretty good like 3-4 times each, then took the 5lb. Hammer and hit in an upward motion on the part that connects to the pitman arm and it poped right up, I had beat and beat and beat and givin up on it till I chatted with him, and went back out and done it like he said and I had it off in 5 min. Kinda felt silly but it worked. Hope it helps you.

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

or do like i did, i knew i was getting new studs so i welded nuts on all the old studs and used an impact to take them off with the cone washers on and viloa the arm was off too!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Basically just do what everyone else has said and hit the steering arm with a big sledge hammer. The "sweet spot" that someone else was referring to would be to hit the numbers on top of the arm. Sometimes the cone washers get threaded onto the studs, so use a pair of vice grips and clamp down on them and unthread them. Thats basically it. A lot of people say this is one of the hardest parts of putting on a chevy lift, but I dont really think so. Just whack it with a hammer real good, and as long as it doesnt have tons of rust on it, it should come off sooner or later. If you are putting on a lift, have fun getting the front leaf springs off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It took me about 2 hours just to get one of the bolts out of the eye of the leaf springs on my k5. I dont know how common it is for them to get "welded" to the inside of the spring bushings, as only one bolt did it on all my leafs, but when it happens, it really sucks. Good luck.
    -Harrison

9. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't forget a torch is your best friend! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Make sure you leave the nuts on the studs just a little bit to protect the threads from the beating you're going to have to give the arm to get it off.

11. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

I spent a couple of hours wailing on mine with a BFH I eventually broke down and went to the blue tipped wrench /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. After that I got it off in about 2min...but then again, I didn't keep my stock steering arm. Are you keeping this one or are you throwing it away? How good are you with a oxy-acetylene (sp?) torch?

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

On the top of the steering arm, towards the outer edge where the draglink connects, there will be some casting numbers. Take a 3 pound hammer and wack it a couple times right on those numbers, the cone washers should pop up.
    Had to hit mine 3 times. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

wow I used the serch feature with "steering arm removal"

and found just what I was looking for, there is hope after all /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Hit down on the casting numbers like others have said and it will pop up the cone washers just a touch. Then tap the arm back down to the knuckle and remove the cone washers then it should come off pretty easily like that.

15. supersize75k5

Icants see casting #'s on mine /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I have been at it since 8:30 this morning /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

tried all the tips, the thing hates me, I have heated it up, banged on it, tapped the cones trying to turn them, everything /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

this blows, if she does not come off soon I am going to cut the arm to pieces and just replace the studs, but that would take some time /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

where are the #'s on the arm, on the lower part, the half u part or the top near the studs, please help /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. supersize75k5

this just wont work for me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif