Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Arm Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smitty, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just put the lift kit on the truck and I'm down to the last part---the steering arm. I've got to replace the arm on my D44 and it looks like it's going to be a pain. I've been putting penetrating fluid on the 3 studs for the past week in the hope that it will break through the rust. I'm not as concerned about the nuts as I am about the tapered washers. Any special tricks to getting them out?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

step 1: find the biggest hammer you can
    step 2: pound the crap out of the arm near the draglink mount.
    step 3: remove tapered washers if they pop free, if they don't, repeat step 2 till they do.

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

That's what I was afraid of....

4. Hossbaby50

Make sure to hit the arm both down on top of the arm, and up from the bottom. If that doesn't work you might try a little heat on things along with a bigger hammer. I don't know how overboard I would go with the heat though.

Harley

5. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

hey ive been working on that for two days now. finally got them out... i had to remove the front axle from thtruck and take it to a friends where we heated the steering arm around the tapered sleeves got it nice and red then reached it there w/ a pair of channel locks and pulled, out come the sleeves.. this is after hours of beating the snot out of the arm with a sledge hammer, trying to get in between the two pieces w/ a air-chisel, and going thru a whole can of PB blaster(didnt even budge) HEAT IS THE WAY TO GO

6. Hossbaby50

Don't need it when you have an original AZ truck. I got mine off in 5 minutes or less. Rust, whats that? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif That is the nice thing about most southwestern US trucks. Little rust and easier to work on. Sucks that yours was such a PITA.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    HEAT IS THE WAY TO GO

[/ QUOTE ]
    Does that mean in the summer here the arms should just fall off? I have never had one that took longer than 20 mins. I have done 7 or so too. It must be an AZ thing you wouldn't understand /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. Glad you got it off, don't feel bad, I have heard of some taking longer.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It must be an AZ thing you wouldn't understand

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, trust me, YOU guys are the ones who don't understand. Lucky bastages. By the way, what do you southwest guys do all the time since you never have to do bodywork? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It must be an AZ thing you wouldn't understand

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, trust me, YOU guys are the ones who don't understand. Lucky bastages. By the way, what do you southwest guys do all the time since you never have to do bodywork? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In CA we have these people called "idiots" that drive around running into cars without dents (it is against the law to hit a car that already has a dent on that side). /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Back on subject. Living in CA I don't have problems with rust (it takes years for bare metal to start to rust here)...I have however heard that loosening the bolts and SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY taking it for a drive around the block helps to loosen them up with minimal effort with the BFH. I have never tried this myself so try at your own risk.

11. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Living in CA I don't have problems with rust (it takes years for bare metal to start to rust here)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in rust country I have never seen bare metal, it rusts as soon as exposed. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I have to remove my arm too.I guess heat and bfh is the way.
    Luckly it will be out of the truck so I'll have some swinging room.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This is why I feel that everyone should own a dana 60.

The engineers were nice enough to put a huge spring under the steering arm that actually helps push the steering arm off!!!!

Ingenious idea, I tell ya.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

heat works great but be sure to check your upper ball joint when you are finished....they don't like heat..

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Going with the driving idea but over to a safer possibility. Loosen the nuts put the truck on the ground and drive back and forth a little, while steering a lot, and it just might loosen up. Be ready to replace the studs if you go that route.

What do we do with no body work??? Wheel. There are enough CA idiots imported over here to keep a horrible body shop in business let alone a good one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Take your tie rod loose so you have room to swing. Give it hell with the BFH. I've done several up here in Wa. We have rust from all the deicer on the roads. The conical closest to the front of the truck should work loose first. Pull them out as soon as you can, it will allow for more play in the arm for the next swing. Good luck.

16. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

well today I was installing an raised steering arm and that bastard didn't want to come off so I remembered the BFH and sure enough it came off lucky it's cali born truck.....

justin
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    still under construction......

17. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Looks like I'll be taking the sledge to it tomorrow. The driving idea is out since the engine is in the garage. Thanks to everyone for the ideas!!

18. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Got the arm changed. It took a big hammer and a lot of heat. Checked the ball joints before I started and I'm going to pull everything back apart to change them out too. Figure I'll change the rotors, calipers and pads too while I'm at it. Thanks to everyone for the help!