Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Arm Studs??? Installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jul 5, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok finally got my new studs in the mail. How do I install these? Torque value? Locktite or anything?? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was told to bottom them out in the knuckle by hand. Then put the steering arm on and torque it to the proper torque.

Just FYI torque the hell out of those studs so they get the most friction between the arm and the knuckle surface.

Also make sure that there is no paint, grease, etc between the knuckle surface and the steering arm bottom. You want raw metal against raw metal.

Harley

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Alright I'm all done. Is there a specified torque for these? Mine are at 130 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I torqued mine to 90 the first time and I snapped 2 of the studs on the second run out. I replaced my studs with bolts and they are now torqued to 180lbs. This probably isn't a true torque value since they are bolts and not studs but HEAVY is the rule of thumb for me.

Harley

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When I talked to SW about my D60 x-over arm, he said just use some Red Loctite and use some ViseGrips to get them in kinda snug...The point is to get them just tight enough that they don't back out when you take the nut off. BTW, for a D60 steering arm, the torque specs are 75ft/lbs.

Chris