Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering arm studs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nerraw117, Nov 21, 2005.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

are the three studs that hold the steering arm on the knuckle the same between the dana 44 and the 10 bolt? does anyone know of a manufacter that sells the studs for the 10 bolt, and also what is the easiest way to remove those from the axle? would heating it up with a torch and locking vice grips on it break it loose? (my steering arm is stuck also). thx i am a nutsack.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

3. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

thats for the dana 44. so they are the same? and any ideas on how to remove them?

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I think they're the same. and I've never removed any so I can't help you there.

:o

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

To get the arm off take off the nuts and start turning the wheel. Otherwise get out the BFH. If you don't ruin the studs don't touch them.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes the studs are the same between a 10 bolt and a d44. to get the arm off, you have to hit the arm with a BFH at the arch and only down. i just did one yesterday, it was on for 10+ years, and it took me 20 minutes to get it off.

to get teh studs out, use a stud extractor, vice grips may work, never down it that way though.

7. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

To remove the studs I just tighten two nuts together then only turn the bottom one.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Haha, apparently yall dont know his steering arm, with the nuts loose, driving around the block it aint popped off yet, 10lb sledge aint got it off. Ive never seen one this bad.

9. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

yea i havent had the nuts on for the last 2 months and i drive it at leastonce a week and still hasnt budged.

10. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

the steering arm is evil. Enough said. lets just put it this way, not to discourage you... probably 10 hours in putting the whole lift on, close to 20 trying to get that damn steering arm off. Eventually just got a new spindle.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the one i took off the other day was preaty bad, the last couple i took off only took 10 minutes. this time when my arms got tired, i took the torch and heated the conewashers up till they were cherry red and hit it 3 times and noticed one starting to pop loose. a few more swings that one was out and the others were starting to loosen up.

a BFH and a torch will get them off.

12. BigUglyracing

BigUglyracing Registered Member

steering arm

I just had the honor of taking the steering arm off of a 1974 dodge 3/4 ton dana 44. It had never been removed and was a pita.
    What i recomend is a good penetrant oil like pb or thrust.
    Clean it with a wire brush spray it and then begin to beat it to death with a bfh.
    If it is really bad like I read it is.
    Spray / Beat/ repeat
    The pb is what helped me.
    Hope this helps.

13. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

One entire day of my lift install was dedicated to that damn arm. Sledge hit after sledge hit, until three men had spaghetti for arms...don't give up though. it WILL come off, just give it hell and don't worry about your physical well-being.

14. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

Try taking a screwdriver and hammer and a lot of pb and try to un thread the cones, after a while they try to become part of the threads.DO NOT drive around with no nuts on the arm it will eventually pop off and you will either wreck of have one hell of a time getting it off good luck.

15. Big Truck

Big Truck 1/2 ton status

I couldn't get mine off with my BFH and also letting it soak for about a week with pb blaster, finally i got a sledge hammer and gave it a couple of heavy knock and it came right off (needed bigger hammer).

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

or how about using a stud remover?
    that is what i used....

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know the feeling. I done 6 or so and most have been fairly easy. The one on my 80 I tried for 6 weeks to get it off. Ran it with no nuts, emptied a can of PB Blaster, and a can of Zep over that time and no luck even with a heavy duty sledge. My buddy laughed at me so he came over with his torches and heated the snot out of it and it still would not budge with the sledge. After about 3 hours of him trying to remove it with heat, penetrating fluid (hot, cold), and sledging the snot out of it (with no luck and ME laughing at HIM), he finally cut the arm in several pieces with the torch (butchering the studs in the process) and was able to remove it. I had to then remove the studs from the knuckles which was fun because they were all boogered, and then I made the mistake of going to the dealer for the studs, cones, and nuts ($$$$$$$$ I think they did give me a complimentary jar of lube with that one though....).

18. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

and they say they are hurting :haha: