Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm troubles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BudTX, Feb 10, 2006.

1. BudTX

BudTX Registered Member

1983 K20 with a 10 bolt front axle.

We installed a 6" lift a few weeks ago, and I went back to check and re-tighten all of the nuts and bolts this week.

The kit came with a raised steering arm. I noticed when re-tightening things this week that the nut to the rear of the steering arm (closest to the brake bleeder screw) was a little loose. I tried to tighten it. It just spins, but will not tighten up or allow me to loosen it out. [​IMG]

I think that it might be stripped, but the threads exposed above the nut look OK. The other two nuts on the steering arm are nice and tight.

What are my options? How can I get this thing out, or do I even need to?

I would appreciate any guidance that you can provide.

Thanks,

Bud

2. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

mabey if you have access to a welder :weld: you could try and weld a nut on the end of the stud and pull the whole thing out. Then replace with a new stud nut and cone.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is the nut turning on the stud or the stud turning in the knuckle?
    If it's the nut spinning on the stud just use a nut splitter or cutter/grinder to get the nut off. If it's the stud spinning in the knuckle, try clamping a pair of vise grips on the nut and as you turn it to unscrew it, lever under the vice grips in an upward motion. This if your lucky,strong and persistant should pull the stud up to bite on good thread and allow you to unscrew it normally.
    Then you'll have to see if it's the stud or the thread in the hole that's shot.

4. BudTX

BudTX Registered Member

The stud is staionary; the nut spins on the stud.

I'll try splitting the nut off, and then will probably have to remove the stud and replace it, correct? Is the stud reversed threaded in, or do I have to punch it out?

Thanks for the responses guys.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the stud is standard thread. If the nut is toast you may as well weld the nut to the stud and unscrew them together, or if you don't have welding gear then try a double nut to unscrew them together.
    good luck!

6. BudTX

BudTX Registered Member

Thanks!

Bud