Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STEERING ARM

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91KFEVER, May 3, 2000.

1. 91KFEVER

91KFEVER Newbie

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THE STEERING ARM ON A 91. EVERYONE I TALK TO SAY TO JUST BEAT IT FROM THE SIDE TILL THE TAPER LOCKS POP OUT. THIS DOESNT SEEM TO BEW WORKING.

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    That is the correct way. What I did was "rocked it" with a hammer. One side a bunch of times, than the other, the other again, than the other... You may also beable to use a screw driver / chisel to try and twist the shims. If you look, they are split on one side. Oh, trust me, you can't hit it hard enough. ALso first try to hit it straight down. I had good luck on 1 1/2 of mine.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You might need to use a BFH. I used an 8lb sledge. Remember HIT, not tap! Just hit it on the end, hard, and it will come off. One important note: make sure the truck is on jackstands. Tires & springs will absorb some of the impact. GBH, Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Just pulled my arm off a few days ago.Let me tell you wd-40 aint worth a crap.Neither is liquid wrench.My brother is a mechanic and he uses this stuff from napa.Can't remember the name but it has been around for a long time.Sprayed it once let it soak for 5 minutes sprayed again.Then proceded to beat the crap out of it with a BFH.It will come loss but it's good to have someone else too tag team it.

5. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

BLASTER! thats the stuff, sprayed everything on my suspension two days prior before i crawled under it. the steering arm was only one of the pains i endured while installing the lift. its always something! it will come out, just keep beating on it. GOOD LUCK!

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Let me just say that removing the steering arm on my GMC was the single most miserable mechanical experience I have had in a long time. The instructions said that "some tapping may be necessary to remove the arm" as quoted by skyjacker. Some tapping my a$$. You have to use a BFH alright, and I wish now that I would have had some of that stuff from napa. Just thought I would share in the misery of the situation.

BIGJ

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

PB Blaster is the one I use. They make a couple of different formulas. You are right that stuff is great, unfortunatly it did not do the trick on my steering arm. I'm sure it helped, but I still had to beat it. Another trick for rusted stuff is to pour some brake fluid (DOT3) on it. Do not do this if there is anything nearby that is painted and you care about the paint. Jim

BigJBear '80 GMC

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

This is going to sound stupid, but why do you have to beat the steering arm?? I'm getting ready to put a 6" lift on my Jimmy and all this talk about having trouble getting the arm off is starting to worry me. How long does it take to get off?? I know how to do it and the last time I helped someone put a 4" lift on his truck we didn't have to beat it. We simpley just took it off. He might have been beating on it before I got there, but I don't think so. Later

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

9. KapeKodK5

KapeKodK5 Registered Member

I tried all of the above on my 90 and nothing worked. I then reinstalled the draglink and tires and left the bolts off the steering arm studs. I then blocked the wheels or wedged them. Then with the aid of a friend"this part is important". He watched the arm as I steered the truck back and forth. this looosened the arm and it popped off. Caution you must stop right away as soon as you see the arm move or you may wipe out the studs and you will have an even igger problem on your hands. Hope this helps just be careful.....

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Soak it with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench for a couple days and then beat the crap out of it with the biggest hammer/sledge you can find. If you hit straight down on it it will help the taper bushings lift out. You may want to pick up some new studs just in case... they always get destroyed. I worked on mine for about 4 hours and then took it to my local 4x shop and let them work on it for 6 more hours. Those guys really hate my truck now. Good luck, hopefully yours will be a lot easier than mine was.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    Proud owner of an 88 Jimmy