Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering arm

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vince13, May 14, 2002.

1. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

Anybody got any tricks to getting those damn steering arms off of the spindles, i need to get it off so i can put on my 4 in steering arm. i've tried heating it up and hitting it. i've tried just hitting it. Any suggestions please

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Hit it some more, with a BFH.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hit it some more with all you got!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I didn't have air tools the first time I did it and had a hell of a time. I just got a junkyard 79 axle, pretty rusty and all and figured it would never come off. I took an air hammer to each of the three studs and it rattled the cone washers right out. The whole deal only took about a 3 minutes. Make sure you leave the nuts screwed on at the top when you do this so you dont mess up the threads on the studs.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sometimes they're easy, sometimes they're hard. The first one I did after a 5# sledge, 2 bottles of liquid wrench, 1 bottle of PB blaster (or Zep, can't remember), airchisels, hammer, etc. I finally called a relative with a torch. He torched 80% of it off and we hit the rest (even a part that after being cut was not held by the stud) and nothing happened so we cut it off too. Had to replace one stud as we had to cut the cone washer off it and it messed up part of the thread (cone washer was welded/rusted to the stud and would not budge. Others (even ones that looked more rusted), I have soaked, removed the nuts, whacked the arm a few dozen times, and then removed it easily. I guess it's luck of the draw, and Murphy's Law.........I was in a rush to do the one that had to be cut off, and didn't need to rush with the one that came off quickly.....go figure. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I just did one on my 85 chevy 3/4 ton last sunday. I've never done one before then. It had never been taken off. I put some wd-40 and then some penetrating oil and soaked the threads with it over night. When I went to take it off I hit as close as I possible could to the threads and the cone washers popped right up. I then used pliers and grabbed the cone washers and the steering arm pulled right up. You might also try using a hammer and a chisel and hit the sides of the cone washers. That works too. I used a 4lb sledge and beat the hell out of it for about 3 minutes.