Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Assist/ Stabilizer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Feb 2, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

If I go with a hydraulic assist like from WestTexas Offroad, will a stabilizer be needed or help control the meats at all. I currently don't have either, want to go hydraulic assit, but wondering if it helps act like a stabilizer and how is "return to center" effected by the assist set-up. Thanks for time.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

this is the set-up I am running, return to center is fine, but steering is allittle slower until you upgrade you pump, also theres no mention in this page about extending your res. http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/65html

78 K-10 383, TH-350, NP-203, Dana 70 front, GM 14bolt Rear, 4.56 gears(underconstruction) 78 k-5 stock and rusty

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

You will not need a stabilizer after you go Hydro assist.
    The ram acts like the ultimate steering stabilizer and solve all those wobble and jerking problems.
    Let Me know if I can answer any more questions

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Matt, is there any degradation in the speed of the steering like Mudrunner78 talked about? How do you match the speed of the cylinder to the steering system? Is it mandatory to upgrade the pump AND/OR increase the reservior size? It seems that once you have the system filled and bled that you would not need to increase the reservior size.
    Thanks in advance, todd

thebigdaddyof2

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

TTT

thebigdaddyof2

6. TheLakeRat

There is a lag in steering speed. Normally you only noice this at an Idle. But with the internal mods that I do to the boxes and the upgrads to the pump that I've listed, it solves most of those problems. I'm still running the very first kit I ever built before I started doing all the other mods and drive mine everyday and have no problems so with the upgraded systems you should love it. As far as extra capacity goes, you are right. Once everything is bleed the stock reservior will work fine.

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Matt,
    I definitely want to do it, but I don't want to take my truck out of action. Do you have any cores that you can tap and send, then I'll send my back whereupon returning my core charge. Next is do you happen to have a hydro boost reservoir available. I did the hydro switch, but T'd the return fittings and if I am going to go and redo system, I figure might as well clean up the look. Do you recommend the AGR super pump with your set up? I really don't want to mod my pump, but definitely want to get good flow. I already have cooler, but might go bigger. What is a good temp reading for the system? Not sure whether a gauge is necessary. Thanks for time and look forward to dealing with you soon.

Joel

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

8. TheLakeRat

Yes I do have a couple of cores but I will need to know if you are running crossover sttering or not and if you have anything else custom about your box. I don't recommend AGR because they are overpriced. I guess if you don't want to do any mods then you should get one from them but I don't undestand why. You would still be better off by buying another one and do the mods to it and keep your old one for a spare. I'm sorry but I don't keep any reserviors. I would suggest searching the junk yards

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you try to use a hydro boost reservoir, make sure you find the right bracket for it too. I've got one on my 350 now but it came off a diesel and I couldn't find a SBC bracket that would work with my other stuff. I wound up grinding the stew out of several brackets, and still had to bend the pinch weld a bit. I'm just waiting for it to start leaking to put the regular pump that came with my SBC back on.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.