Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box adjustment help.. HELP !!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rocko, Dec 6, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I installed new tie rod ends on the Blazer, then it threw off the steering wheel.. well that's no big deal.. i can fix that.. <font color="black"> Here's what I did.. what do I do now? </font color>

I backed off the locking nut on the steering box.. I used a allen key to adjust the adjustment screw.. I made the steering way too tight. Feel's like I'm fighting the wheel and it's hard to get back to center.
    What's the correct way to adjust this nut.. Chilton's manual is very "vague"
    Which way to I turn the adjustment screw to loosen up the steering.. I don't want to burn up my steering box..

Thanks in advance.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Why did ya fiddle with that?
    I just went through this with my 2x4 burb.
    The gear box is wasted and has the DW so I tightened the screw down and like ya said it was way to stiff and would not return to center.
    I just kept driving and backing it out a 1/4 turn untill it felt ok.
    I couldn't find any info on it either.
    The DW is back and the Box just needs to go in the scrap pile.

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

It's not that hard to do. just a little time comsuming.
    First off put the front axle up on jack stands.
    Next, using a 5/8" wrench and a 3/16" allen (i think) hold the stud and loosen the nut off a little.
    Now normally i wouls say to tighten the stud until you can barely feel the steering tighten up in about the center of the steering arch. But since you are already have it too tight we'll just move on.
    Now you need to just unscrew the adjustment stud a 1/4 turn at a time until you can't feel the binding anymore.
    Now tighten up the 5/8 nut while holding the stud with the allen.
    Remember to do this with the engine OFF and a buddy to turn the wheel while you hold the stud from moving will help alot.
    You can call me tomorrow if you need more help. I may not answer the phone but i'll be in and out and will be glad to call you back if you leave a message.

4. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like you adjusted the wrong thing.First thing I would do is set the toe.You do that with your tie rod ends.Then adjust your drag link to center your turning radius.With your sterring wheel centered your rig should have the same radius turning left or right.You do that with your drag link.The steering box adjustment is mainly for the play in your steering wheel. I mean how much the steering wheel moves before the pitman arm moves.

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Matt.. appreciate the detailed how-to..
    Russell and I got it adjusted today..just like you mentioned..
    And all others who replied.. thank you also..
    As for tightening the steering box.. I needed to. it wandered alot when driving.. now it's dead on when i steer.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

sorry to butt in but i was thinking about rebuilding my steering box. its sounds a little harder than it looked. any ideas or feedback?

thanks

nathan

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Your not butting in..
    But Matt aka "the lake rat" could probably help you..
    Heck.. <font color="black"> just buy one of his Redneck ram's </font color> .. can't beat it for the price.. if I wasn't poor and unemployed.. I'd buy his Stage 2 kit..

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i was gonna do that. but i added hydroboost before i relized i was working against myself. if i ever get like 38's or bigger i'll just adda 2nd ps pump.

nathan