Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box beef

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 4xmac, Mar 8, 2002.

1. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Stephen, I plan on doing a crossover system soon. My question is when I change out my steering box I plan on boxing in the frame at that location for added strength and I"am wondering if I should also install your frame repair kit for additionall support. My frame has no cracks in the steering box location. What is your opinion.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The K5 frames can definitely benefit from being thicker and the easy way to get that is to weld on the repair kit. Past that I'd look at installing some long sleeves that will go through your boxed frame section and I'd probably X brace the tubes with some 1/8th or 3/16 plate plate before you put the cap over them. Be aware that finding a good place to stop when you're boxing the frame is pretty hard. I ended up behind the transfer cases before I came to a "good place".

3. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Thanks Stephen for your help. I had all ready planed on running tubing stud supports thru the frame but I never though about the internal gussets. I"ll do that thanks.