Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box blowing out seals

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, May 15, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Jul 4, 2005
    I noticed my 4x4 steering box was leaking around the sector shaft, so I bought the seal kit, and replaced the seals.

It was pretty easy. I took off the pitman arm, took out the snap rings, took out the washer, then used the ps pump's pressure at full lock with the motor running to blow out the other seal/washer/seal. The kit had a new snapring/washer/seal/washer/seal. I put them all back EXACTLY how they were. The stupid snap ring would not quite go into its grove. I used EVERYTHING to try and pry that seal in their deep enough. I found that a tstat housing is the correct diameter, and found a leverage point to pry away. The snap ring was a MAJOR pita, but I thought I had it in there deep enough, and worked it around with a screwdriver.

So I got my motor running kinda decent, still with a little occasional backfire.... I drove it around. The steering worked good.

I was under my truck and looked at the steering box. Now there is a nice little snap ring/washer/seal sandwitched against the top of the pitman arm. Appearantly it didn't click into place quite good enough, like it appeared to be, and the pressure blew it out.

I guess I need to go buy another seal kit. Has anyone else had this problem? Any easy fixes?

I know it would be kinda cheezy, but I'm almost tempted to pry it back up in there, and stack ANOTHER seal and washer or two between the pitman arm and the steering box, to keep them from being foreced down by the pressure. Probably not a good idea :doah:

Can you reuse sector shaft seals that have been blow down like that, because there has been a leak now that they've blow back out, onto the pitman arm. Should I go buy ANOTHER seal kit now?
  2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Feb 10, 2004
    Take a look at if and decide if it looks damaged.