Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box bolt spacers... necessary????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Jun 8, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

after installing my frame stiffener (ORD..easy install)and weld in brace (purchased from ORD, easy install) I was wondering... are the spacers for the steering box bolts necessary??? It would seem to me that anytime you have to use longer bolts more force is exerted upon them so that using the shortest bolts necessary to bolt anything together is usually always the best route. I understand if one needs spacers to actually get to a bolt but as you all know these bolts are pretty accessible. Thanks... Cam is Welding

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i never really looked closely at them, but would there still be enough thread on the bolt so it doesnt bottom out, thus not allowing you to tighten it?

3. camiswelding

Its a given that I would determine the proper length bolt in grade 8 so that it has sufficient length to fully thread into the box.... and no I wouldnt reuse the stock bolts,,, they wouldnt be the right length after the frame mods anyway....

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

oops, heh, If i was to do that, i would get a longer bolt, and thread it all the way through the box and put a nut on the end of it.... My box has come loose a few times, and if it does it again i will do this. I dont see any reason The spacers will make a difference.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Bolt spacers are commonly used to strech the bolt, which helps the bolt maintain it's clamping force. Furthermore, the longer bolt will have more "room-to-work" before it hits it's maximum tension strength.
    With current production trends, meny bolts are "torqued to yield" rather than torqued to spec. The bolt is toqued to XX ft/lbs, then a calibrated angle finder is used to turn the bolt an additional XX degrees. This process insures the bolt (clamping force) reaches a mathmaticly predictable value.

Remember, it's friction that holds the parts togather, not the bolt. The bolt provides the clamping force, the clamping force increases the friction between the parts.
    Think of it like this:
    If the lug nuts are left loose, finger tight. The rim would sheer off the studs in short order - The strength of the studs hasn't changed, only the friction between the two parts. Make sense, yes ?

6. camiswelding

thanks for the informative and well thought out reply....
    Um I guess Ill continue to use the spacers
    cam is welding

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The ORD brace takes the place of three of the spacers or are you talking about the weld on frame patch?