Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box Bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Aug 12, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Going to do the weld-in and bolt on brace. Anybody know the length of the new bolts needed?

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

If you're doing them both you'll probably just have to put it all in and see how it looks. I think three of them will just have to be a bit longer, and the fourth even more. Also, I have heard of people taking those little spacers out and using the original bolts. You'll see when you take it apart. Though I don't know how important those spacers are /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

those stock spacers don't fit with the bolt in brace.
    i think mine were 2.75 or 3" long. i'd put it all together to see 1st. also i would look into grinding the box and using pinch nuts on the outside.

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Are these bolts something that I can pick up at Lowes?

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Yep, thats what I did. Take the orignals down to lowes and get some the next size up. Probably will be 1/4 inch longer than your stock ones.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I got ones a good 1/2" longer than stock so I could put lock nuts on the outside of the box.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The grade 8 bolts for the steering brace kit are 4" long 7/16-14. They are included in the kit (three of them).

As for the weld patch, I'd personally pass. (been there, done that, wouldn't do it again)

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Get the weld in kit too. It is worth it. Just be a little patient when installing it.

Tim, you the only person I have heard advise against this mod, and probably could have easily benifited from it. Perhaps if you had done it before you ripped the whole box thru the frame the kit would have fit better. I am sure that kind of stress will make even the best product fit like crap.

I say run both kits, use lock nuts on the outside, check the bolts often and have fewer worries while out having fun /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif The whole point is to get out on the trails (tread lightly) and enjoy your rig.