Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box Brace from ORD install??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Jul 14, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Alright, just got my steering box brace in the mail today. I just got back in from trying to get a feel for what to do under my truck. Well, first off, let me say, the instructions were kinda shaky. It gives me 3 black bolts(not nuts), 1 silver with a nut and 1 short silver one with a nut, the brace and then the seperate little piece that is suppose to go in front of the crossmember(I'm not sure where exactly) Also, when I line up the the brace to the two bolts at the steering box brace, am I suppose to move my powersteering pump hose? It is kinda in the way. Basically I'm just asking (for those who installed this), what exactly do I need to do. What bolts do I use for what. I wish they gave me a drawing or some sort. Thanks for yalls help.
    Boss

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Heya, I've got that installed on my truck (77). I had to gently "bend" the PS hose a little bit out of the way. It probably depends on what kind of PS pump you have. You install the 2 rear bolts loosly into the bracket. Then you install the front small bracket. The small front bracket fits into one heck of a large hole in the crossmember right there, and you have to drill a 3/8" hole in the center of that same crossmember (mine already has a 1/4" hole in the exact spot, so I just enlarged it).

It's easy to do!

http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

Squash

3. Boss

Hey realsquash, you think you can get me a pic of how the smaller bracket goes in??? To me it seems like, if it came with all the pieces it did, except for the smaller bracket, then it would be simple, but that damn little bracket is cofusing me. Thanks though.
    Boss

4. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Bro the small bracket goes to the front bolt of your box and like realsquash said you have to drill the 1/4" hole out. If you still have questions let me know.

5. Boss

So basically we're drilling two holes right?? One for the small bracket and one for the large bracket? After we drill the hole for the little bracket, we bolt it down with the short bolt they supplied. then you drill the other hole in the cross member for the large bracket. Sorry if I'm not understanding right, its just b/c they said, I only had to drill one hole. Plus, I'm just trying to figure this out before sunday. Thanks
    Boss

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Check ord's website. There is a pic showing the brace installed (no pic of the small plate though). One hole gets drilled in the crossmember between the frame rails. This is for the big brace, actually there should already be a hole there, you just need to enlarge it for the bigger bolt, the factory hole is practically in the center of the crossmember. The other hole to drill is for the other bracket, it goes on the other side of the crossmember against the frame. There was an install of ord's box brace in petersons or 4x4 power some time ago. If you have any back issues you might be able to find it. Good luck.

BIGJ

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

You are only going to have to drill one hole out, the one in the center of the front-most crossmember. The other hole (about 1/2" diameter) is already there for the small bracket to fasten to with the supplied 1/2 bolt and mating nylon lock-nut.

You'd have a hard time drilling that 1/2" hole in the crossmember.

Also remember that the box is only held on by 3 bolts!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash