Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box Brace Kit Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jun 8, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]

I bought a steering box brace kit from ORD for my 1-ton 4X4, but one problem I have with installing it is that my truck has a factory oil cooler. The oil cooler hoses are routed right in the path where the steering box brace kit mounts.

Before I install the brace kit I have to install some new high-pressure hose on the cooler lines because they are dry rotted and hard as a rock. I am just going to go to a local shop that can crimp on some new high-pressure hose to the steel ends. I was thinking of having them add a few extra inches of hose to them, so it gives me some room to route the hoses over top of the steering box brace kit.

My question is, has anybody had to deal with this same situation, and what did you do to correct it? Will the ideal I of lengthening the cooler lines work, in order to route them over the top of the brace?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, it should work fine, although a number of members have the kit and have been able to install it without messing with their cooler lines other than pushing them out of the way.

I do believe these lines are made in the aftermarket if you don't want to go the custom route.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

check out the article about this kit in the Product review section of CK5. Steve had an oil cooler when he installed his and you can see how he routed his lines.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you're having new hoses made, you could look at routing them over the crossmember also, sometimes there's room there. When you're starting over, there are a lot more options.

5. 1-ton

After looking at the situation a little closer, I think I can actually route the oil cooler lines under the steering box brace easier as opposed to over, but as Steve said, since I am going to get new lines, I could pick just about any where that is convenient to route them.

Also, another concern I have about the steering box brace is that the brake proportioning valve is located right where the long steering box bracket bolts to the cross member.

I have looked into buying a completely new set of oil cooler lines, but Napa auto parts and the Chevy dealership is the only place that carries OEM lines. Napa wants almost $70 each, and the dealership wants $120 each. I can take them to a local high-pressure hose shop and have a new hose crimped onto the old ends for $35 each.

One way or another I will get this modification figured out.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The brace doesn't really get all that close to that brake valve anyway.

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem on my 88. I finally ended up routing the lines under the brace but in order to do that, I had to loosen the cooler line clamps to move anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 1-ton

Cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks for the pics! I can see from your pictures that the long bracket is long enough to extend out past the proportioning valve, and the cooler lines will go under the bracket.

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yea, I remember my installation was a real PITA. Once I figured out how to loosen the lines, things could be worked into place. Took me a few hours /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I noticed a fairly large improvement when my blazer was stock. Good Product /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif