Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box brace question???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smokkey1, Mar 12, 2004.

1. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I checked the haynes manuel but didn't have the info on these spec's...
    I'm going to install my lift on my 90' sub tommorow and have a few question what's the torque spec's for the following....

steering box brace?
    front lift springs(4"TC ez rides)?
    and the rear leaf springs (I'm going to use the old rear bushings for now ORD won't send them in an few weeks)?
    Front & Rear shocks?

I now the rest of the spec thanks any other tips would be appericated...

justin
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When I installed the steering box brace (ORD) I just got the bolts as tight as I could with ratchet and a piece of pipe ( careful you gotta feel when to stop or you'll break an ear of steering box). Wouldn't hurt to use threadlock on box bolts. Some people use 50 ft lbs on leaf spring bolts. Same for shocks. You want to be tight enough not to loosen, but still let the bushings work. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

This is from a '78 3/4ton manual, but it should be about the same, or at least pretty close:

Spring-front eye bolt-90ft/lbs.
    Spring-Rear eye bolt-50
    Spring-to rear shackle bolt-50
    Spring-front support to frame-25
    Spring to axle u-bolt-150
    Upper shock-65
    Lower shock-65
    Steering box bolts-70

I didn't know what to set the bolt to that goes through the cross member, so I just went to 70 along with the steering box bolts.

Hope that helps, and Best of Luck with the install,

Mike

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just tighten them down,,,torque specs? whats that? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks guys I can't wait any longer to tear into the beast..
    I'll make sure to post some pictures...

justin
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

1 more question I'm also putting on the extened stainless braided line too any tips on them sorry for all the question never did something like this before...

thanks justin

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I was told by some locals to take mine off first chance I get and get rubber hoses from napa. But basically if you use line wrenches you shouldn't strip the fittings. Have a friend help you bleed them, and do it more than you think you should. The guy who helped me , bigyellowjimmy, made my brake pedal feel as good as my wife's 2003 Impala. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

well day 1 which was today got the front suspenion done I just need to connect the drag link and torque all the front bolts. day 2 tommorow will install the shackle flip any thing I should look out for..... well have plenty of pictures by monday are so.....

justin
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    day 2 tommorow