Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box brace with crossover and hydro-assist????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Dec 26, 2002.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Pretty soon I am gonna upgrade my steering and I am trying to get an idea for the costs involved. I'm gonna run crossover steering and hydraulic-assist but with these mods would I need a steering box brace? I've got 42" TSLs. It seems like the hydraulic assist might eliminate the need for it however since the ram will be doing more pushing than the box. If I do need a steering brace, could I get away with just the bolt-in type or would I need a weld-in brace as well?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, chances are that at some point, you're going to need the brace regardless. I would go with the weld in one if you can. I will be installing one pretty soon myself. I run 38's and haven't had a problem yet, but they way I wheel, it's only a matter of time. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

That's sort of what I was afraid of. I don't have a welder but I like to do as much of the work as I can by myself. I guess I'll have to fork over some cash and pay to have it done /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I ran 38.5's and crossover with hydro steer on my 74 chevy and i fabbed a bolt in brace and wheeled the crap out of it and the frame never cracked.I think as long as your building it to beat on a weld in kit just gives you that added assurance but i feel the bolt in type brace really helps transfer the load better.I did fine with the bolt in kit only but I wouldnt give up on the weld in kit either.

5. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Do you think the hydro-assist has something to do with the longevity of the frame? As far as I understand, once you go to hydro-assist, the steering box is no longer doing much of the real pushing or pulling which stresses the frame. Instead the hard work is done by the hydraulic ram. So with hydro it seems to me that the frame would not need to be as heavily supported. Does that reasoning seem correct or is there something I'm overlooking?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Eldon, I was thinking the exact same thing. If you go hydro right away and your frame is in good shape, I'd just run it as is. Just make sure you inspect it very closely, if it's already cracked (likely if the truck is lifted or has larger than stock tires) then you will need to do the weld in repair kit. </font color>

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i would slap it in to make sure. Chaz had his box rip off the frame on Gatekeeper. If you are going to do it, do it once right. I know from expereince /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't care what kind of steering you run, wether it's stock or crossover/hydro assist but the box should be braced. I have seen 2wd trucks with busted frames at the steering box. I plan to do both weld on and bolt on braces on both K5's. I already have a bolt on brace on brace and crossover steering on my 89 and can watch the frame flex around the steering box when turning.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

If you have the funds do both, better to do it once and be done with it.

-Jeremy

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

if you are goin to do it....do it all...bolt on weld on and hydro...especialy with that big of a tire...even with hydro alone i can almost bet that you will eventully break the frame...i had the bolt on brace already when 3 of the bolts sheered off and one bolt pulled all the way threw the frame..and broke in 2 peices...what a pain in that ass it was to weld back together...but now i have the weld on kit...bolt on kit...and have the hydro ram and box but i havent mounted the ram yet because i am still waiting for my highsteer arms from roggy enterprises..

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have the bolt on brace form ORD and I still cracked the frame. I'm welding on the fix and leaving the brace there and hopefully that will fix it.

12. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'm running 42's and crossover. I just got my WTO hydro kit in the mail this week. I had the bolt on brace before with the stock steering setup but I went ahead and installed the weld on brace, even though my frame is fine. After reading about Chaz's experience it became a no brainer. Plus since everything's apaart in the front I figured it would be a good time to do it. My motto is you can't go wrong with overkill as long as you can afford it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Alright, I guess I might as well do both. Can anyone take a guess at a reasonable install price for the weld-on kit?

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you hurry:
    ORD Holiday Special
    Smokin' deals on both pieces you need but just till Jan 3.