Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 19, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just got done putting on the ORD steering box brace I bought over a year ago. Since I'm lifting it in the next month or so, I wanted to protect the frame first. That is such a good idea...It's easy to see how much it strengthens it. And the only real big problem I had was doing the work while still being on crutches.
    I just wanted to let all the "newbies" know how important this it. You may want to spend the money on something else, but if your steering box falls off after you slap your 35's on, you're going to wish you would have done this. Its $100 and a couple hours of work...thats it. Probably even less if you aren't on crutches. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Agreed 100%. Safety-related items should be the <font color=red>FIRST<font color=black> things to be fixed/replaced/upgraded. Steering and brakes should be the first couple items on your list of places to spend your money. Appearance can wait until the truck can stop and turn safely. If you think it's not a big deal, think about this: When I was 14, I watched a pregnant 23-year old woman die, trapped in her car. A truck (big-rig type) hit her head-on because the steering tie-rod broke at an old bent spot. The driver lost control and went into the opposing lane. Closure speed was almost 110 mph. She died while paramedics and firemen tried to rip her car apart to get her out.

The moral of the story is, spend your money wisely. You may not mind living dangerously, but take a moment to think about the other drivers on the road.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Is this a total bolt-on, or is there welding and/or drilling involved? Also, is this a better fix than the weld-on kit with the plates?

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

It was all bolt in except you have to drill one 1/2 inch hole in the crossmember. And since you have to drill it from the back you need either a 90 degree drill or a drill adapter. There isn't enough room to fit a drill in there because of the crankshaft pulley.
    I believe this is alot stronger than the weld in plates. Those weld in plates should only be used if the frame is already damaged. I was lucky enough to find a '73 model that wasn't messed up. The reason I say the brace is stronger is the way it triagulates the frame rail with the crossmember. It ties everything in together to combine their strengths. There is pretty much no way the steering box will be able to flex on the frame now.
    I used a review from a Peterson's 4-wheel mag. to help me do the install from a couple years ago.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Brad

Brad Registered Member

Where can I find a brace for my 84 Jimmy?

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

what month/ year was the mag? was it 4WOR? or 4x4 power?
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

7. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey 73 I agree with you safety is always first, one question why are you on crutches? I was on crutches about 6 months ago I had a knee surgery last Feb. had a ligament replaced and two torn meniscus fixed, in other words I totalled my knee playing soccer just a bad kick a really bad kick but now I guess I'm doing better and hope you get better quick cause I know how it feels I couldnt drive for about 3 months that sucked!!! anyway good luck bud.

keep blazin !!!

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Brad: Autofab and Off-Road Design both make one. Off-Road Design is the best, nice to do business with...thats where I got mine at. Try them at offroaddesign.com or 1-970-945-7777.
    Mudfanatic: January 1998 in Peterson's and May 1999 in 4x4 Power.
    Chaka73: Looks like I did a little better than you did. I install car stereos at a store in town and our garage is really tiny. I pulled a 4 door Buick in, and it left only about 4 inches between his back bumper and the garage door. I couldn't fit through, so I was walking on his bumper to get from one side to another. No big deal...it wasn't hurting his car...the other installers do it, etc. I had walked back and forth about 10 times, but the last ph*cking trip I needed to make was all it took. My left foot slipped in between the bumper and garage door and I fell off sideways. So my foot/ankle couldn't move when I fell. When I was free and hit the floor my legs were pointing straight out, but my left foot was pointing 90 degrees to the left. It looked like something off of a Faces of Death tape or something. It was mucho nasty.
    You know how there are the tibia and fibula in your shin? I kind of shattered one of them around the middle of my shin, and then broke a big piece off the other one down by my ankle. I tore both of the biggest ligaments in the bottom of my leg and severely dislocated it. I've had 2 surguries, still on crutches, haven't gone back to work yet, etc. And to make it even worse, my Blazer is stick, so I couldn't drive it until just a couple weeks ago. At least I have a nice bottle of Lortabs to take the pain away. Later

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Damn 73 that sounds painful but keep it up and you'll get better soon good luck 73.

keep blazin !!!

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Good news dude. I just got back from my surgeon's appointment and I'm done with the crutches!!! X-rays looked good, so I'm limping/walking normally again. That makes it exactly 3 months with those damn crutches...at least its over. I still have to look forward to physical therapy though...

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

My brace arrived yesterday, and I installed it last night. It wasn't bad at all. I was able to get my drill in there without the 90 degree adapter. I have a new steering box ordered, so I'll finish it Wednesday. Great procduct!

Blazin' in Flagstaff

12. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Bill where did you order the box from and how much was it?

keep blazin !!!

13. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ouch. sounds painful. I broke my big toe jumping over my girlfriends couch two months ago, and it still isnt right. okay, i know it doesnt need surgery, but it hurt, and i still cant bend my toe. oh well. good luck without the crutches.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

14. mudfanatic

I know what kind of pain a toe can cause, I dropped a car battery on my left Toe 5 years ago, last year on my 4th surgery I finally can walk without a limp and so far, knock on wood, since that last surgery I havent had to deal with engrown toenails.
    '77 K5

15. mudfanatic

thanks '73 I found my 4WOR mag, in 4x4 power I was able to find April and June but not May [​IMG]
    '77 K5

16. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I got my box from Checker, believe it or not. $171 and a lifetime warranty! Can't beat it...

Blazin' in Flagstaff

17. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    accident stories

http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez/dakota/corey.htm

I win, 8 days in hospital (2 dr's said they don't know how I survived), 3 mo in a wheel chair, broken femur (titanum rod still inside) shattered rt. foot, broken left wrist, unidentifible injury to rt. knee.

Not bad for "lawn darting" into the side of the truck, and flying head first into the bumper of a oncoming truck to than get ran over by it!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

18. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: accident stories

You still beat me, but I also broke my back 5 years ago replacing U-joints in a Blazer. I was in a hurry and didn't apply the E-brake and when I pulled the driveshaft it started rolling down my driveway with me underneath. The front axle crushed me down and broke my back, bruised ribs and a little internal bleeding to top it all off.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

19. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has the frame cracked already. Do you think that welding it and installing that brace is enough? Or do you think I need to weld the plate as well?

When I emailed them, they said I needed both. But I'd rather hear it from a fellow Blazerer.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

20. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Blazer 79...my 79 had the same problem...i welded in the plate after welding up the crack...then installed the steering brace. Night and day difference! I recommend the whole shabang...its worth the money and you don't have to worry about any future problems!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban