Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Jun 4, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Where do I check on the frame to see if it is cracked before I order a steering box brace? I wanna do that before I get my license! 26 days!!

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>
    "Awh....Prarie $hit!!" -Blazing Saddles

2. ericsoffroad

ericsoffroad Registered Member

check behind the sterring box for cracks get a wier brush and get the area as clean as you can most of the cracks i have seen have been between the front bolts so look there real good and wite paint never hurt eather cracks show up well if you spray some wite paint behint the box

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One thing I would recommend from experience - bad experience - put one on regardless of whether you see a crack or not. It tightens the entire front end up, and helps with future problems.............I speak from experience. Spent way too much $$$ getting a frame crack that went too far fixed a few years back. Best $95 you will ever spend on your truck.

Sounds like you are putting one on anyway - good thinking ahead of time!

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

4. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just checked...seems to be no cracks! WOOHOO!! [​IMG] So I need to order my brace...is ORD closed on account of stephen's absence? I will try tomorrow! Thanks you all!

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>
    "Awh....Prarie $hit!!" -Blazing Saddles

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just put one on my 89......I think I have a very tight truck.....the ORD Brace still made a difference....cost me $103 total shipped to Dallas...got it in two days.....it went on like it has eyes....you'll need a 1/2 drill bit, some Locktite, and about 20 minutes......JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Dont be so sure you dont have any cracks. To make
    abso-f-ing-lutly that you dont have ant cracks, you need to take the steering box of and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN,,,,,, and inspect on both sides.....
    But you need to get the brace for sure.... my .02 cents

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI