Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box Brace

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CDA 455, Jan 12, 2007.

1. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I'm about to swap in my new PSC PS steering box. I have a factory steering box brace on the inside of the frame. The frame show no signs of stress. And I plan on using very heavy military tires. I won't be able to put in a PSC hydraulic assist ram until my wife is finished being pissed off for spending mucho $$ on the crossover/hi-steering set up :D :eek1: !

QUESTION:
    Would it be overkill to weld in a brace on the outside of the frame?

What are your opinions/input?

Thanks!

2. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    good question...i'm wondering the same thing...i have the factory brace as well...but i think with my hydro assist, i won't have to worry about the steering box riping off...i'd get the assist before running it hard...

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

ORD offers a brace, and I highly recommend using it. The weld on frame repair kit isn't a bad idea either.

4. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

from what i have learned and researched, the reinforced steering box isn't as important when running cross steer. There is no where near the stress's on the box as there is with stock steering. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that was what my research showed me.

5. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

I have no steering brace on my frame and running 42's with crossover and I haven't had a problem at all.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Find some wood to knock on.